Chapter 33

"Hey mom," I smiled as she slid into the backseat of Trace's car.

"Hi, sweetie," she patted my shoulder. "Trace," she smiled in his direction.

"Nora," Trace nodded and backed out of the Callahan's driveway.

"There's so much I need to tell you," my mom said, buckling her seatbelt. "I feel like I haven't had the chance to see you in so long, and talk about things, what with both of us working and everything."

"So, what do you want to talk about?" I peered over my shoulder at her as Trace drove to the restaurant to meet his family for lunch.

"For starters," she smiled, "I got a promotion, and found an apartment I'll be able to afford, with my new salary. It's small...but clean. It will be nice to have something of my own."

"That's great, mom!" I exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you!"

"That's awesome, Nora," Trace piped in.

"But that's not at all," she smiled giddily.

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

"I went into the lawyer's office last week and filed for divorce. He sent the papers to Aaron, all he has to do is sign." The relief on her face was obvious.

"Mom! That's fantastic!" I grinned.

Finally, after more than twenty years, she would be completely free of Aaron Owens.

"I wanted to call and tell you, but I felt it was better to tell you in person," she smiled.

"I'm so happy for you, mom," I reached back for her hand and gave it a light squeeze.

When we arrived at the restaurant, Trace's family was already there.

"If it isn't my favorite future grand-daughter-in-law," Warren chuckled, standing shakily on his cane, hugging me tightly despite his frail state. "I've missed you. You need to come visit me."

"I'll try, I've been really busy," I took the seat in-between my mom and Trace. "I got a job." I really had been meaning to visit Warren. I missed him.

"That's right," Warren nodded. "I remember Trace mentioning that. How's the job working out for you?"

"I love it," I smiled, picking up the menu.

The restaurant was attached to a hotel and it was surprisingly upscale with dark wood accents and tile floors. Part of the kitchen was open to the space so you could watch them cook.

"I'm glad to hear that," Warren coughed.

"Gramps, are you okay?" Trace asked, his brow wrinkling in concern.

"Just a little cold, nothing to be worried about, these old lungs don't work quite as well as they used to," he shrugged, taking a sip of water.

Trace didn't seem to be buying what Warren had said.

A waiter appeared and I ordered a chopped salad.

When everyone's order had been taken, I looked across the table at Trent. "How've you been?" I asked.

"Eh," he shrugged. "I haven't been doing much."

"He's been sulking," Lily piped in.

"About what?" I asked Trent. "You certainly don't have to tell me, but you can."

"Just a girl," he mumbled, reluctantly, squirming under everyone's gaze. He scratched his chin, staring at the table.

Trace chortled. "Is she resisting your infamous charm?"