Chapter 10

I wiped my tears away as hastily as they fell. I had never been so hurt or humiliated in my entire life. I felt like Trace had ripped my heart right out of my chest and stomped on it.

How could he do that to me?

I spotted his car, still parked in front of my dorm, but he wasn't in it.

The sight of his car made caused even more tears.

I walked up the steps, heading for my dorm room, blinded by my tears.

I opened the door and was greeted with a cheery, "How did it go?" from Avery, and then, "Oh my God! Are you crying? What did he do to you? Do I need to chase his ass down and cut his dick off, then force feed it to him?"

Not even Avery's sick sense of humor could get me to crack a smile.

"Olivia," she whispered softly as the door clicked closed.

I couldn't see her through my blurry tears.

I felt her arms wrap around me, in a tight hug, as she pulled me over to my bed.

"I'm sorry, Livie," she whispered, cradling me against her, like a mom would with her small child. I must have looked really pathetic.

I sniffled, taking deep breaths.

"What happened?" She asked, running her fingers through my long hair.

I sniffled in response and she rubbed my back.

"Shhh," she whispered, "it's okay. Cry. You can tell me later, because you will tell me," she rubbed my back. "I need to know if I have to castrate him," she muttered the last part under her breath.

When I composed myself to the point where I could talk, I told her about the kiss and Trace running away from me.

Avery giggled. Giggled! She plucked at the sweatshirt I was wearing. Trace's sweatshirt. "I told you a sweatshirt was like wearing a chastity belt. It scares guys off every time."

"It's his sweatshirt," I whined, yanking it off as quickly as I could, making sure to wipe my snotty nose on it so that if I ever had the guts to return it, it would be covered in nastiness. It would serve him right for what he did. What's a little snot compared to a broken heart?

"Sorry," Avery smoothed her fingers through my hair again, "I was trying to make you laugh."

"I know," I mumbled. "But I don't really feel like laughing right now."

"Fair enough," she shrugged, wrapping her arm around me again. I leaned my head on her shoulder and she rested hers atop mine.

Avery was a lot of things, but there was no best friend as great as her, I was sure of that.

"I still think you should let me hunt him down and cut his balls off. Serves him right for doing that," she muttered, wiping tears from my cheeks. I couldn't seem to stop crying, no matter how hard I tried.

I knew it was silly.

It was one kiss and it wasn't like Trace and I were dating. We were...friends...I guess.

But it seemed that in the past month, I'd started falling for him, and when he kissed me...it felt...perfect.

Obviously, it didn't seem perfect to him.

I started crying again, harder, and Avery got up and returned with a box of tissues.

"Thank you," I forced a smile a few minutes later for Avery's benefit.