Chapter 16

My mom and I dashed out of the house, quickly loading my car with our meager possessions.

I drove away as fast as I could, not even bothering to look back at the house.

"What if he finds me?" She kept repeating over and over again.

I took her hand in mine. "Then we'll handle him together, mom. Okay?"

She nodded.

I knew she was scared, but I honestly didn't think he had the guts to try and find her. If she stayed, he would hurt her...probably kill her, but he didn't strike me as the type to hunt her down.

Men like Aaron, didn't have the guts to chase someone. They liked to control you behind closed doors and act like nothing was wrong when you were outside them.

We had a long drive ahead of us, but I didn't mind. I had my mom beside me and I would never let her go back to that man. It was time she found the freedom, that I had been searching for, and I was pretty sure I had found it in Trace.

★★★

It was late when we crossed the state line into Virginia.

An hour ago, I had called Avery, and asked her if my mom and I could stay at her parent's house. She was quick to agree and I was so incredibly thankful that I had a friend like her.

I turned into Meadow Branch, Avery's neighborhood, and started making the turns she had described.

I found the house and pulled into the driveway beside her red Volkswagen Beetle.

"Mom, we're here," I shook her shoulder.

She startled awake. "Huh?"

"We're at Avery's house," I explained, "this is where we'll stay."

"Oh," she rubbed sleepily at her eyes. "She's your roommate, right?"

"Yeah."

"And she doesn't mind?" She asked, surprised.

"No, mom. I called and asked her," I unbuckled my seatbelt.

The garage door opened and Avery stepped outside. She was dressed in her pajamas and her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. She waved her hand, for us to come inside.

"Go on ahead mom, I'll get our stuff," I sighed.

I watched as she made her way to Avery. She looked so small and broken. I felt responsible for her, even though it should be the other way around.

I carried our suitcases inside and sat them down in the mudroom area that you walked into from the garage.

"I already showed your mom her room," Avery said from the shadows, startling me. "Your room's ready too. My parents will be back in time for Christmas, but once they get back, they won't mind if y'all stay here."

"Thank you, Avery. I can't begin to express to you how much this means to me," I cried softly.

"Hey," she whispered, hugging me. "I'm happy to help...but what happened?"

"I can't talk about it right now. I'm sorry," I sobbed, covering my face with my hands.

"It's okay," she rubbed my back. "I know you'll tell me when you're ready. It was something with your dad, though, wasn't it?" She questioned.

I nodded; she didn't need more of an answer than that.

"He's worse than what you told me, isn't he? Did he hurt you, Livie?" She pulled away, looking me over.