Chapter 23

"It's New Year's Eve," Trace whispered, skimming his fingers down my bare arm while I curled against his side.

"Mhmm," I murmured. "I know."

"Have any plans?" He asked casually.

I pretended to think. "Not that I know of."

"I know it's super last minute," he trailed his fingers over my shoulder and collarbone, "but I was hoping you'd accompany me to my family's party."

"Is it fancy?" I questioned.

"Well, yeah," he replied reluctantly.

"How fancy?" I asked nervously.

"Like, I'll be in a tux, fancy," he winced.

"Trace!" I exclaimed, sitting straight up, bringing the sheet with me to hide my chest. "It's not like I keep a ball gown stashed in my suitcase! Why didn't you ask me sooner?"

He grinned like a little boy and tucked his right arm behind his head. "Because I knew it would give you more time to think of an excuse not to go. I was going to ask you yesterday, but I got distracted," he pulled the sheet from my feeble clutch.

"How do you expect me to get ready for something this fancy on such short notice?" I growled angrily.

He chuckled. "Your best friend comes in handy sometimes."

"Avery knew! How? That girl can't keep a secret to save herself!" I cried.

"Apparently, she can," he smirked.

"Ugh," I groaned and flopped back on the bed dramatically.

"She should be here soon, to help you get ready," he slid from the bed and pulled on his boxers and jeans. He left the belt undone.

"I hope you're prepared for your apartment to be turned into a beauty salon," I whined, covering my face with my hands.

How did Trace expect me to be comfortable at some fancy New Year's party? I would be completely out of my element, with a bunch of strangers, and I was one of the shyest people on the planet.

I heard Trace pad across the room and then the bed dipped down beside me as he sat.

He pulled my hands away and gazed down at me. "I'll be by your side the whole night. I promise. You have nothing to worry about. I don't want to go but I'm expected to be there. Excuse me for wanting my girlfriend with me."

I bit down on my lip. When he put it like that...

"Okay. Fine. I'll go and I'll be happy about it," I forced a smile.

"You don't look very happy," he chuckled. "Maybe, I should-" He leaned down, kissing me thoroughly, and took my bottom lip lightly between his teeth. He placed smaller kisses along my neck and my body arched into his.

"Trace," I gasped his name out in a small cry.

His chuckle vibrated against my skin as he pulled the sheet completely off of me and moved lower.

Then, someone had to go and knock on the stupid door.

Trace cursed quietly, and climbed off of me, quickly covering my body with the sheet. He ran his fingers through his hair. "That has to be Avery. I'll get the door while you get dressed," he mumbled, striding from his bedroom.

I slipped out of the bed and dressed in record speed.

I was zipping my jeans when Avery busted into the room.