Chapter 8

"We're going out," Avery announced, bouncing into our dorm room.

"No," I responded, even though it hadn't been a question.

"Yes, we are," she sang, stripping off her clothes, and changing into clean ones. "Luca invited me to go out and he said Trace would be there, so you're going."

I perked up at Trace's name but I had a pile of homework. The professors were laying it on thick before Thanksgiving break.

"I can't," I frowned.

Avery sauntered over to me. She reached out and tweaked the corners of my lips up. "Stop frowning, it doesn't suit you. Instead, smile and say, 'Yes, Avery, I'll go out with you, Luca, and Trace.'"

"I have to get this homework done," I whined.

"It's not like it's going anywhere. Do it tomorrow," she shrugged, padding back across the small room, to her closet and flicking through the various items.

"And that's the kind of philosophy that gets people in trouble," I commented, pointing a finger at her turned back.

"Livie," she pleaded, "please, for me?" She begged.

I sighed. I had been spending a lot of time with Trace and even though, we'd be out with the guys, Avery would be there. "Fine," I conceded. "But I want to know where we're going."

"Just out to eat, I think Luca said he wanted to go to B-Dubs," she shrugged, with a flip of her hand, "so that's why you have to go."

"Oh, I see," I laughed. "Luca invited Trace so it wouldn't be a date. But if I tag along, then it makes it a double date."

"Exactly," she smirked.

"You play dirty, Avery Callahan," I shook my head. "Poor Luca doesn't know who he's dealing with."

Avery laughed, throwing her head back. "You've got that right," she winked.

I closed my laptop with a sigh and changed into something more presentable than sweatpants.

I ended up in a pair of jeans and a red sweater. Avery eyed me disapprovingly.

"What?" I squawked. "There's nothing wrong with this!"

Avery rolled her eyes, crossed her arms over her chest, and looked me up and down. "It's just so...boring."

"You're the one that's dragging me away from homework which I need to do. I'm sorry if I'm not very concerned with how I look," I snapped.

"Please, make an effort Livie. Trace is going to be there, and you don't want to go walking into the restaurant, covered up like that," she gave me pleading puppy dog eyes.

"It's cold outside and I want to wear a sweater. What's wrong with that? At least it's not a sweatshirt," I snapped. "I'm not going to be walking around in booty shorts when there's frost on the ground in the mornings." Avery lit up, so I quickly added, "And I won't be wearing booty shorts in the summer...or ever for that matter."

Avery frowned. "But you don't always have to wear jeans and a sweater when it's cold outside. There are other options. Please, let me dress you," she pleaded, pouting her bottom lip.

"Fine," I groaned, stripping off my sweater, and throwing it at her head.

"Thank you!" She shrieked, running across the room to her closet.

"Would you like to lay out clothes for me to wear in the morning, mother?" I snarled.

She laughed. "Maybe I should. You always look fabulous when I dress you," she said flippantly, but with a grin. "Change into these," she tossed a pair of black skinny jeans my way.