Chapter 28

I closed the lid of my laptop and took a deep breath.

One paper down and a thousand more to go.

I stood, about to grab my stuff for the shower, when there was a knock on the door.

I glanced at Avery, relaxing on her bed, listening to music on her iPhone. She pulled out her ear buds and raised a brow. "Need something?" She asked.

"Are you expecting someone?" I pointed my thumb over my shoulder at the door.

"No. Must be for you," she shrugged, replacing the ear buds.

With a sigh, I yanked the door open.

Trace stood there, casually, as if this was an everyday occurrence.

"Busy?" He asked.

"I just finished a paper," I rubbed at my tired eyes.

"So, you're not busy," he grinned, shoving his hands in his jeans pockets.

"I'm going to shower and go to bed. I'm tired," I leaned against the doorway.

"No, you're not," he shook his head. "You're coming with me."

I sighed, dropping my head forward. "Trace, I can't." He could be so impossible to deal with sometimes.

"I promise I won't keep you out late. I know you're busy with finals, but there's something we have to do."

"This involves my list, doesn't it?" I whispered, in case Avery was eavesdropping.

He nodded, still smiling. "There's only a short window of time for us to complete this one."

I didn't bother to ask him what it was. I knew he wouldn't tell me.

"Fine, I'll go," I gave in with a dramatic sigh. "But I'm showering first."

There was no way in hell I was going anywhere with dirty hair and in the sweatpants I was wearing.

"Deal," he grinned. "Avery's welcome to come too. Luca will be there."

"I'll tell her," I covered a yawn. Hopefully, I wouldn't fall asleep standing up.

"I'll be in the parking lot," he grinned and disappeared down the hall.

I closed the door, and Avery eyed me, pulling her ear buds out once more.

"What did Tracey-poo want? He really should stop sneaking into the dorms like that. Someone will babble to the R.A.," she rolled her eyes. "Someone always tells on me when I have guys over," she mumbled under her breath.

I bit down on my lip to hide my laughter. I was the one who tipped off the R.A. to Avery's habits. After one too many times of walking in on her and some random dude, having sex in our dorm, I decided something had to be done about it. Best friend or not. Thankfully, she and Luca seemed to be sticking to his place for their—uh—needs.

"Trace and I are going out. He said you're welcome to come along. Luca will be there," I informed her.

With a squeal, she hopped from the bed, and scurried to her closet. "Where are we going?"

"I have no clue," I muttered, grabbing my shower bag. "Trace wouldn't tell me."

Avery pouted. "How am I going to know what to wear?"

"Just wing it," I told her as I closed and locked the bathroom door.

★★★

A smile spread across my face as I spotted the Ferris Wheel up ahead.