Chapter 31

I brought Ace inside after doing his business and smoothed my hands over my dress clothes. I was starting my first day at the local jewelry store. It wasn't too far from Trace's—our—apartment. I still wasn't quite used to the fact that his place, was now our place.

"You look nice, babe," Trace grinned, stepping out of the bedroom, in jeans and a wife-beater.

"Thanks," I smiled, and my stomach rolled nervously.

"You'll do great," he assured me when my smile turned into a grimace. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I don't want to do something wrong," I passed Trace, and stepped into the bedroom, grabbing a pair of black flats from the bottom of the closet. I padded into the living room, slipping on my flats, and found Trace drinking a bottle of water. He screwed the cap back on and eyed me.

"What could you possibly do wrong?" He raised a brow. "You're selling jewelry."

"I could enter the price in the register wrong or-"

"You are really overthinking this," he tossed the empty water bottle into the recycling bin and wrapped a hand around my waist. "Just relax," he murmured soothingly, running his lips over the curve of my ear. My eyes fluttered closed as his stubble tickled my skin deliciously.

He pulled away slightly and his green eyes bore into me. "If it makes you feel better, I'll bring you lunch," he suggested.

"I don't know," my hands tangled in his shirt.

"I make a delicious ham sandwich, you know you want one," he crooned, skimming his nose along my jaw.

"I think, knowing you were going to show up, would only make me more nervous," I admitted.

"Alright, fine," he smiled, his eyes sparkling, "no ham sandwich for you. I'll eat lunch with Ace." He pointed to the black puppy sleeping peacefully on the couch. He had grown surprisingly larger in the week that we had had him. Ace seemed to love his new home and I was happy that Trace and I were able to give him that.

"I'm sure he'll be a much more enthusiastic date than I would be," I joked.

"He's not as cute, that's for sure," Trace winked, kissing me soundly. "I've got to get to work."

"Me too," I sighed. I needed to stop stalling.

I kissed Trace one last time and hugged Ace goodbye. "You'll check on Ace, right?" I questioned Trace as he walked me to my car. I was nervous. Since we'd adopted Ace, he hadn't been left at home alone. We'd bought a crate, for when we were gone, but he hated the thing, so I refused to put him in it.

"Of course I will," Trace promised, kissing the end of my nose. "When the others leave, I'll bring him down with me."

"Okay," I nodded, still worried about my hairy baby.

"He'll be fine," Trace assured me, "and so will you."

My breath came out ragged from nerves. I hoped I didn't make a fool of myself on my first day.

I waved goodbye to Trace as he watched me leave the parking lot. The drive was a little more than five minutes and I spent the whole time freaking out.

I parked behind the building, in one of the spots, Marcy, the owner, had said was reserved for employees.

"You can do this, Olivia," I pepped myself before forcing my unwilling body from the car.

I walked up to the back door and paused before entering. The door was painted a bright lime green, and I wondered why I was surprised. Marcy was on the eccentric side.