Chapter 32

I said goodbye to Marcy and made my way home, so I could shower, and get ready. Trace and I had plans to meet Avery and Luca at a restaurant nearby.

"You look nice," Trace commented when I stepped out of the bedroom in a new sundress I had bought.

"I wanted to dress up," I shrugged. Lately, all I had been wearing was shorts and t-shirts, so I wanted to look nice. "How long before we're to meet them?" I asked, sitting on the couch to put on the heels Avery had given me.

"We should be heading out now," he smiled at me from where he lounged on the couch with Ace curled against his body.

"I swear, all that puppy does is sleep," I laughed. "Aren't most puppies into mischief?"

"Probably, but not Ace," Trace rubbed the puppy's back, and at Trace's touch, Ace rolled over to get his tummy rubbed. We had quickly learned that Ace loved belly rubs. "He's special."

"Let me fix my hair and I'll be ready to go," I informed him as I strolled into the bathroom. I quickly side-braided my damp hair and added some gloss to my lips.

Trace was already grabbing his car keys when I walked out.

"Bye Ace," I crooned to the dog, kissing his soft head, and handing him a treat.

Trace shook his head at me. "That is the most spoiled dog ever."

"He deserves to be spoiled," I laughed, passing by Trace, and making my way down the staircase to the parking lot.

"How was work?" He asked, starting the old Camaro.

"It was great. Marcy is so awesome," I gushed. After three weeks of working at Marcy's store, I had yet to run into a hiccup. The customers were great and Marcy was the best boss ever.

"See, you had nothing to worry about," he grinned, his eyes a light shade of green today, which meant he was in a happy carefree mood.

"Do you want me to admit that you were right?" I laughed.

"Just one teeny tiny, 'Trace you were right,' would be awesome," he held up his fingers a centimeter apart.

"Fine," I rolled my eyes. "Trace, you were right."

"Those words warm my heart," he grinned with a hand over his heart.

"Look at the road," I warned.

"You worry too much," he mumbled, but his eyes strayed back to the road ahead.

He hadn't driven far when he turned into a parking garage. We got out of the car and I followed him around the side of a painted stone building to a gate. He pushed the gate open and I spotted Avery and Luca seated at one of tables with a yellow umbrella.

I saw a band setting up on a stage in the far corner of the outdoor patio.

"Another thing you can cross off," Trace whispered in my ear with a steady hand on my back as he guided me to the table.

I shook my head in amazement.

Trace and I, met by chance, and something made me show him my list, but somewhere along the way, my list stopped mattering to me. It became, not so much about accomplishing these things, but about living in the moment and just...being happy. As simple as that may sound, it's true. Happiness is everything.

Trace pulled out a chair for me to sit down and then scooted me into the table.

"Have y'all already ordered?" Trace asked the other two.