Chapter 3: Tennis Buddies (Gabriel's POV)

Start from the beginning

"You guys are partners deal with it or you're off the team." Mr. King threatened.

Then I turned to Saphire she threw me the fakest smile ever. This is going to be fun, I think. You know if she actually cooperates and plays nice. Somehow I don’t really see this happening. Again I’ve managed to piss her off. Maybe I broke the heart of one of her friends. Yeah that could be it, but I’ve never heard anyone mention a Saphire before.

“Hey partner,” she said with the fakest smile in the history of fake smiles. It actually hurt me to know I can’t receive one of her real genuine smiles. If she did give me that smile I’d give up this charade and go on bended knee to beg for her forgiveness on whatever stupid thing I did. I know I do a lot of stupid things, but I can’t figure this one out. I wouldn’t purposely do something to hurt someone so beautiful and innocent, in her own way. Until she tells me what it is I did I would continue my game. Maybe we’ll get in an argument and she’ll just tell me out of rage what I did.

“Listen only because I have to I’ll work with you. Screw me up and we’ll have problems, understood?”

“Oh you son of a…”

“Ok everyone go with your partners and practice,” Mr. King said interrupting her. Thank heavens he did.

We chose a corner at the side of the court and Saphire got the balls to started to serve one. The first one hit me in my shoulder I just shrugged it off. No apology either. Oh it is so on man, so on. The next ball I hit back. She’s good though so we kept this going. It’s not like we’re playing tennis, but instead testing each other. I was too into the game that I didn’t even realize that everyone stopped what they were doing to watch us. Even Mr. King seemed intrigued. Wow, I don’t even realize how long we were going. Something feels weird it’s like we’re in sync or something. That’s weird.

Saphire probably senses it to because the expression on her face changes; it softens a bit. Like she senses it too. At this moment our eyes connect and the atmosphere changes yet again. What the hell is happening? I’ve never felt this for anyone, not even the girl I dated for 5 years. If she feels it to then how can she hate me? Maybe this is the same charge that enemy feel between each other. Something went off in Saphire and new found determination was in her eyes now.  Before I knew it a tennis ball were heading for my balls. I doubled over in pain.

“Oops, I’m so sorry,” Saphire said apologetically. The look on her face said otherwise though. Why, why must the beautiful die young? Also why is that where the girls always aim? Don’t they know we want kids someday? It’s not like we always aim for their breasts or something. Gosh I’m in so much pain.

“Gabriel are you ok,” Mr. King asked concerned.

“Yeah I’m fine, just give me a minute.”

“Saphire did you do this on purpose?”

“With all due respect Mr. King I wouldn’t do that, but I will take responsibility.”

“It’s nice to hear that because you’ll be taking him to the nurse, but before you go I want you two to know that there’s a tournament coming up soon and you two will be playing the doubles portion. So get better Gabriel and you two will be practicing by yourselves from now on.”

“Come on buddy we have to get you to the nurse,” Saphire said far too nicely for my liking.

She takes my arm and put it across her shoulder, supporting me as she pulls me up. Our eyes connected again and both of our breath hitches. It’s nice that I have the same effect on her as she does on me, or at least so I hope. She’s the first to break eye contact and she started walking, pulling me along with her. We finally arrive at the nurse she sends us to the back. There’s an awkward silence surrounding us and it’s unbearable. I look at her, but she keeps her head turned form me not wanting to watch me. Taking all the courage I have I grasp her chin with my thumb and forefinger and force her to look at me.

Boom there it is again, the feeling I get whenever I look into her eyes. She isn’t protesting or anything so I take this opportunity to inch my face closer. As I do this she blushes and it’s almost the same color of her hair. How cute is that? Just as our lips were going to touch she pulled away; looking at war with herself. So I do affect her huh? That’s a nice fact to know. The nurse pops in and tell Saphire she can leave and she does. She doesn’t even look back, not once. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone this was another chapter brought to you by yours truly. Hope you liked it and also please vote and comment. If you have any ideas on how I can make it better please tell me I can handle constructive criticism really well. Again comment and vote. Thank You!!!

XoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoX