Ch 37 - Savior

Silence ticked hours away as I waited for the perfect moment. I was determined on killing the man. My right hand had struggled to the inside of my jacket and rested on the end of the firearm I had been gifted that very day. I knew it could gain my vengeance. But only with the perfect shot. Cecil hadn't looked more than two inches away, and if anyone could dodge a bullet, it would be him.

And then it happened.

A silhouetted figure appeared on the horizon behind Cecil. It stopped and looked down, seemingly straining to see us. My attention to it attracted Cecil, he turned working his old eyes hard to make out was I was looking at. Only when the figure began to yell and run to us did he see it was human. I slowly made out Casey running down to us.

As soon as the alarm bells went off in Cecil's mind I got my chance. I drew my handgun and quickly aimed it as best I could. Pulling the trigger with all my force, it fired a straight shot into the chest of my enemy. He feel with a thud and a look of anguish as the bullet passed through, just as Casey became less than one hundred yards away still running with all his power. I couldn't make out what he was saying as he ran to Crystal then turned to me, and back to Crystal.

I never felt the gun leave my hand, but I guess at some point it did, since when the sword was pulled out of the tree, I fell on my back with my head rolling to face home, and the gun was awkwardly jabbing into my upper thigh.

I saw Casey kneel down at me and shout, pushing my stained hair back and checking my faint pulse. He anxiously looked into my glassy eyes. Then something moved in the trees. Something clumsy and uncoordinated. Casey noticed it as well, he didn't hesitate and picked up what I can only assume was Crystal, still fighting for her life, and ran with it bridal-style.

The figure in the trees stumbled after them for a moment before noticing me. The figure multiplied and a dozen or so came wandering towards me. They keeled down to me one by one, fighting over my numb corpse.

I counted off all the names of the people that my choices had killed. My actions, made any differently could have left these people all alive. I wasn't sure if I had chosen them somehow, or if it just happened how it had to. It was a strain to even remember all of their names and faces.

Aunt Beth.
Frankie.
Lane.
Tad.
Maxx.
Cecil.
Lei.

After Armageddon (Finished)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara