Ch 11 - Love

After the reunion of Casey and Crystal -or Crysey as Tad and I tease them- they were always together. Giggling and hugging each other like chipmunks in an animated kids movie. I haven't seen a single second were they weren't together. Meaning Crystal and I haven't had much time to talk. I've tried to visit Lane to see if everything's okay now that El and Crystal patched him up, but El is contently standing watch over him, making me leave at Lanes request if I get fifty feet close from the door. Thankfully going to my room is an exception.

I was laying on my twin mattress, the blue starry blanket neatly under me as I stared at the ceiling with nothing to do. There was a swift knock at my door.

"Ya?" I asked, not looking up from the little indent I found. The door creeks open, Crystal stood in its doorway, tears leaked down her cheeks and add her eyes red. Her freckles looked water marked and her brownie colored hair stuck to her face. I jumped up and ran over to her. "What happened Crystal? Are you okay? Is it Casey? Do I have to kick his ass again?" I asked. The last one made her giggle, just as I had planned. Thankfully she shook her head. Were as I could scare him enough with my knife, he was about twice my size, I stood next to no chance in a fight. Not that I would ever admit that.

"L-L-Lane. H-he's dying..."she said in between sobs "The in-infection from th-the bite is sp-spreading." My mouth hung open involuntarily. I quickly pulled her into a hug to try to calm her down. I looked into the hall for a trace of El standing guard. He wasn't there.

"Are they in his room?" I asked her. She nodded "Do you want to go say good bye? You have the chance to right now. I'll come with you." I said.

After a few moments of silence she pulled away and started walking towards his door. I followed close behind her for support. She set her hand on the handle and swallowed. She turned back and looked at me and drew her eyebrows together in a small fear she couldn't hide from me. I nodded reassuringly.

Slowly, she turned the handle and pushed it open, holding her breath as the door opened to reveal El Tad and Casey sitting around Lane who laid pale on his bed, stiff and hardly moving, but still alive. Still human. But just barely. As we entered everyone looked up, Casey opened his arms to Crystal who ran over and sat with him leaning into his side. His arm draped around her back protecting her from harm. They really were a cute couple.

El leaned over the bed to Lane, who whispered something to him, quieter than a mouse. It was obvious that it used up all of his strength however. After what seemed like hours eerie science, El stood fully and looked at me.

"You have to go." He said dully. Tad wiped his head up, looking from me to Lane and back agin. "He doesn't want you in here. Your the reason he got shot, reason he's going to die. You have to go." El went more into detail. I stood in the door way unsure of what to do. Tad stood up loudly and protested.

"It wasn't her fault he got shot. Anyone would've taken a bullet for her, he just happened to be the one there. Besides, its not the shot that's killing him, have we all forgotten how he got bitten?!" He looked around the room for a response, when he got none he spoke agin "If Lei has to go, I am too. That what you want?" He spoke that last part to Lane, who starred back blankly. "Fine!" He yelled storming off towards the doorway.

On his way out he grabbed my left hand and pulled me out with him. I secretly blushed and followed his speed. Someone slammed the door behind us.