Chapter 43| In My Dreams

~Kayla's P.O.V.~

I've been pushing it away too long. It's time to face cold, hard reality.

Evan probably hates me...

And neither him nor Ariella have been showing up with us anywhere except for training where they give what I hope isn't the cold shoulder.

I've realized that I ignore things way too much. If I want to have a happy life in my new situation, then I'll have to be more aware. Like, seriously.

I took Evan's number from Melissa, who constantly keeps reminding me that I did nothing wrong, but I ignore it all the time. I did everything wrong.

I open my new I Phone and text Evan, even though we should be starting Theory any time soon.

We need to talk.

A few minutes later, my phone buzzes.

Talk about what? Oh, he's playing that game, is he?

You know what.

His reply is almost instantaneous. Oh, about that? No thank you, in case you can't tell, I haven't been doing much talking to you anymore, and I don't ant to talk, especially if it's about this.

My reply is simple. I won't take no for an answer. My room. Now.

I quickly call Isaac, telling him I'd be a bit late, which he approves of after I tell him my reasons, and silently wait.

The door opens, making me jump, and in walks Evan, sulking over and sitting on Isla's bed, opposing me. I catch a glimpse of his bitter expression as he leans his elbows on his knees, looking down.

" Are you going to say something?" I say coldly when he hasn't spoken for a moment. I know he feels my gaze on him, he just chooses to ignore it.

To say I'm taken aback when he looks up would be an understatement. The light hits his face, and I see the large bruise on his cheek, as well as his distant apologetic look. He looks me right in the eye and grimaces.

" She hit me."

" Who hit you, Evan?"

" M-Melissa."

I'm stunned into silence as soon as the word leaves his mouth.

He takes a deep, shaky breath. " Even though we are siblings, she was beyond furious at me for acting that way towards you. Mean words met mean words and she... just decided she'd hit me. Today morning, it was." He frowns as he slowly gets up and sits next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. " I'm so sorry, I never meant it. I didn't realize what happened because my defense mechanisms just kicked in and--"

" Shush. You did nothing wrong. I would've done the same if I were you." I pat his shoulder gently. " But why would Melissa hit you?"

His frown deepens, " She's been really cold towards me for these past few days."

My eyes widen. " Wait, so you're saying this isn't new."

He shakes his head, running his free hand down his face then holding it out to me.

" Friends?"

" Always." I smile, standing up and pulling him with me.

" I'll talk to Melissa--"

" No, no! Please don't." He looks frantic, and I nod.

" If that's what you want."

~Cole's P.O.V.~