Chapter 40| Catherine

~Kayla's P.O.V.~

Something in this room is making is making it worse, and I'd give anything to make it go away.

" Hey, I meant to ask, are you ok?" Oh no, is he catching on? " You know, about the... stuff that happened with your head?" Phew.

" Yeah, thanks." It takes every ounce of effort in my body just to give a small smile through the pain and tension in my body.

" Great." He smiles back before walking away. Oh, you're probably wondering whom I was talking to. It was Zack, and it' a good thing he can't see that anything is wrong.

I take a breath before whispering, " Ariella, release the tension. Relax." We both try, but it's exceptionally hard when chatting people surround you from all corners.

I feel the first wave hit me right in the head. CRAP! I try my best not to cry out, and for now, at least, it's working.

Ariella suddenly flinches, and I give her my best reassuring look, telling her that we were going through this together.

Another wave hits my neck, making me close my eyes and purse my lips. I'm disorientated; my head pounds and my knees feel weak. Good thing I'm sitting down.

I call Damon over; he's the only person I know I can tell without making him completely freak.

I tell him what's happening and he seems to be handling it pretty well. With a grim look on his face, he gently touches my temple, and that's when a huge pressure hits me, like a car has crashed right into my head, making me cry out in pain.

I can't tell what's happening, but I know everyone's gathered. I can hear muffled voices all around and Damon tries to get Ariella's attention. She shakes her head and shuts her eyes tight, and all of a sudden, her eyes are pure black.

With the last bit of energy I have left, I create a barrier that separates Ariella and I from the rest. I can't risk anyone getting hurt, and I think I'm the only one who'll be able to handle her.

I'm still completely dazed and seeing double, but I'm going to try my best, for all it's worth.

" Ariella--"

" Catherine!" She cuts me off in the singsong voice.

" Catherine," I correct myself, " please don't hurt anyone, for Anastasia, I know she'd love that--"

I'm cut off when she presses me against the wall, choking me. And let me tell you, for a teen girl, she's pretty strong. I'm barely able to breathe, and I scratch at her hands, but she doesn't seem at all affected.

" Anastasia can speak for herself, don't you dare!"

With that she dropped me, and my body collapses. I cough violently as I feel my barrier go down; that's it, I'm done. My throat hurts and I'm feeling extremely dizzy. I feel arms wrap around my waist and pull me up as I struggle to regulate my breathing. I go into a fit of coughs, unable to breathe properly. She did a really good job in nearly killing me.

When I can see in front of me again, I can tell that Anastasia has given up on trying to get out, and Ariella stands before me, looking dazed. I look behind me to see Will still holding me tightly, but his eyes are set on Ariella with a cold stare.

She looks up at me and seems to understand what had happened as her eyes widen and she starts to make my way towards me, " Kayla, I'm so sorry, I didn't--"

Before she can continue, Will steps in front of me and holds a protective stance, his arms out. " You've done enough." He sneers in a cold tone, and Ariella's face contorts into an expression of confusion and hurt.

" Will! How could you say that?!" I shout, stepping up, " She's done nothing wrong, she can't control it! Blame Catherine next time! You can't just--" My tone had softened towards the end of the talk, but I was cut off too soon.

" No... I could have done something to stop her..."

" Ariella--"

She looks completely struck. " If only I had been able to control her... I'm so sorry." She whispers before running out of the room, and I go to follow her, but Evan is faster. He looks at me with an unreadable expression.

" Don't even try." His voice drips with venom before the door slams and I'm left there, frozen.

Why is it that wherever I go, I always seem to ruin everything?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm........

Like it?

-Lena