part 24

[vanessa's pov]
i know that i haven't talked about anything that happened while i was gone, but no one needs to.
i know my family watched me cheat on my boyfriend. whoops.
they also witnessed the passionate love when cody & i got back to his place.
i have clothes at his place now, i'm there so often.
cody & i pretty much never fight anymore.. and to be honest i sort of miss the fight-- the struggle. i hate comparing him to caleb-- but things are more.. dare i say, difficult, with caleb? i crave it, though.
it's clear that he still wanted me at that club that night.. otherwise he would have been in that bathroom with janice.
however, he's been acting really strange. he's more expressionless-- less passionate.. i know it's inside of him, it's just faded right now.
i'm sure janice is great, but clearly not great enough. i don't even think about her in the equation.
i bet it was a one-time thing. he probably just needed the closure-- but he didn't need me.
it's now 2AM and cody & i are sitting up in his bed. my legs rest on his lap as we eat pizza rolls together. we watch the vampire diaries.
he wears black calvin klein pants from the nightwear line & a blink-182 t-shirt.
i wear black adidas sweatpants & one of cody's t-shirts. it smells amazing.
my phone starts buzzing heartbeats and i almost choke on the pizza roll i was eating.
cody looks at both of our phones which were lying next to each other.
my phone screen was facing upwards.. he sees that it's caleb calling.
he wipes his fingers on a napkin & sets his plate down, then grabs my phone before i can.
he answers the call, "hello, caleb."
i try to listen as best as i can to hear what caleb is saying. i hear muffled "tell vanessa" and "doing okay" and i'm confused.
cody takes a deep breathe and nods.
"okay, will do. bye." cody says and hangs up.
"what did he have to say?" i ask.
he wraps his arm around me, "he wanted me to tell you that he hopes you're doing okay and that he's sorry for everything. he doesn't sound like he's doing too well, which is why i didn't flip out on him."
i nod in response. it was really sweet that he called me.. i can't help but think it might have gone differently if cody wouldn't have answered.
i'm quite content with where i am & for who i'm with. that's what i'm going to hold onto for now.

----------
- one month later -
caleb & i haven't seen each other. he never called again. we never shared a single text message.
cody has been growing more & more internet famous. he posts photos of us all the time and we have a sort of a fan base.
it's different-- but i don't hate it.
cody's aunt is getting married & he wants me to be his plus one. i'm on my way to the mall to get a new dress. i have a whole closet full, but none seem to fit this occasion.
i open the door to macy's & walk inside. i'm wearing a hoodie and thick leggings with tall boots.
it's november, thanksgiving is 2 weeks away.
halloween was great. cody & i went to a halloween party together. we went as bonnie & clyde and pulled it off quite well.
my parents got laid off their jobs a little & i've been able to see them more often. they seem to like cody a lot.. i know they loved caleb so they had to get used to the change.
i've been trying my best to keep things going great with cody.. we've gotten into a couple arguments but nothing too serious.
nothing is ever perfect in a relationship.. it takes work & patience & lots of love.
i haven't thought about caleb too much.. which is probably a good thing.
i'm sure he's happy right now, loving his life & content with the person he's sharing it with.
that's all i hoped for him, truly.
i walk along the aisles in macy, my eyes scanning over all of the dresses.
my eyes land on a black dress with a lace top, a thick black belt and a bottom that was silky and loose. i instantly fell & love and rushed to the fitting room to try it on.
i looked amazing. i looked formal enough for a wedding, but it was sexy at the same time. it hugged my hips perfectly. it left some features up to the imagination but it made my boobs look great. also made my waist & butt look great, too. perfect.
the price wasn't too bad. i could splurge a little.
i'm walking out of the dressing room when i run right into someone.
"oh my gosh-- i'm so sorry!" i apologize, regaining my balance.
when i see who it is, my breathe hitches.
"caleb.. wow. this is so random!" i laugh, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
how do these things always happen? he looks really good, though. it feels like all my feelings for him come flowing back to me like an ocean wave.

----
[caleb's pov]
i've missed her so much.. but i didn't realize how much i missed her until she ran into me.
i could smell her perfume & i knew it was her.
she smiles which is a good sign.
what do i even say to her?
"it's good to see you." i say, wrapping my arms around her.
she still fits in my arms perfectly.. it feels so right.
"how are you?" she asks me, looking into my eyes.
"i'm fine." i lie.
i'm going out of my mind. i'm stressed & i'm definitely not the happiest.
things have been so chaotic... so odd.. everything has been kind of stressful & crazy.
janice & i are somewhat on a break.. she's been distant, i've been distant.. things are just so off right now. a month felt like a year without vanessa. she looks so beautiful.
i then look down to her hands, she holds a black dress that i'm sure would look great on her.
"nice dress." i try to make conversation.
"thank you.. i'm really sorry but i probably should get going. it was really nice seeing you. take care, okay?" she says, giving me one last hug.
"will do. you too, vanessa." i say, and i mean it.
i care about her & her happiness.
with that, she walks away.. and i can't help but notice the pang in my heart when she does.

------
heyy(: thanks for reading!!
xoxo

- adrianna