Chapter 35

Nora Davis P. O. V

Wiping my shaking hands down my tear stained face, I take in a deep breath to calm myself down.

Alexander will be here soon, I think to myself.

Stumbling out of bed and nearly tripping over the remaining sheets that were splayed all on the ground, I manage to catch my balance just in time.

Going into the bathroom, I cringe when I see my reflection.

My curly, unruly, and matted hair was sticking up in multiple directions and resembled a birds nest.

My face was pale, blotchy and puffy as dark circles framed my eyes which were bloodshot red.

I trudge to the sink and splash water on my face to freshen up a bit but don't bother with my hair or appearance.

Alexander's seen me at my best so he can see me at my worst too.

Going back into the room, I pull the curtains closed, glaring at the stupid window and moonlight for being too bright and not being able to keep it out.

I grab the soft thin blanket and throw it over my shoulders, covering myself.

The warmth letting me seek comfort from the flimsy material.

My movement is almost zombie like as I go from my room and into the little hallway to the living room.

The once cheerful painted walls don't even manage to bring me exactly that, joy and cheerfulness.

I sit on the cold leather couch and wince at how uncomfortable it seems.

Quickly reaching out to the small side table lamp, I switch it on.

Almost instantaneously I relax as light floods through the room, leaving no dark corners unturned.

Making sure all the nightmares that lie in the shadows disappear.

Reaching for the blanket, I tug it closer to me as I bring my legs up, tucking them into my body and resting my head on it.

Where is he? I think to myself sadly.

As the clock ticks, the minutes feel like hours, like an eternity has gone by.

The only thing that can be heard throughout the entire apartment is my ragged and harsh breathing like I've just ran a marathon.

The once comforting silence now seemed deafening in comparison.

I almost loose my mind at the silence and quickly look for the remote to the television.

Cramming my hand into the divider of the cool leather sofa, I wiggle my fingers a bit till I finally feel the hard cold plastic object that is nearly always lodged in between the sofa cushions.

Grabbing it, I aim for the television and turn it on before mindlessly flicking through the numerous channels, mentally not even paying attention.

Finally I randomly pause at a late night sitcom and turn the volume up till the pre recorded laughter can be heard resounding through the entire apartment.

Feeling at ease, I settle back down into my place on the sofa.

The warmth of comfort and sounds of cheerful laughter resounds through my ears as my eyes slowly start to flicker, having an internal fight to keep my eyes open but soon they shut, though I am still awake.

Tired mentally but not physically.

The stress of the situation might have finally caught up to me, taking its toll like it always does.