Chapter Twenty-Two: The Campaign Ball

Start from the beginning

Jo helped me into the gown, making sure it was perfectly attached to my skin so no slip-ups could happen. Then I stepped into my nude three inch stilettos.

"Voilà. You are done.", Jo said with a wide grin on her face. "Ready for the big reveal?"

"So ready.", I replied anxiously, feeling excited and nervous at the same time.

Jo told me to close my eyes, and led me to a giant floor-length mirror.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes. I gasped.

Just like yesterday, I couldn't recognize myself. Except this time, I really couldn't recognize myself.

My chestnut hair was done in a complicated up-do, with two curled strands framing my face. It was a beautiful hairstyle that pulled the elegant look together. My face was complete with a full face of perfect make-up. My hazel eyes were enhanced with coppery brown and mahogany eyeshadow. My lips looked full with a deep maroon lipstick. The gown was the star of the show, though. I looked like a wedding dress model, with the perfect ivory gown showing off just the right parts of my body while still looking modest. I looked beautiful. Like a celebrity. Or a princess. But gorgeous nonetheless.

I turned toward Jo with an awed expression on my face. This was me. "Thank you so much, Jo!", I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around her.

"No problem, kiddo. It was worth the wait, wasn't it?", She said, smiling at me.

"Totally.", I replied, looking at the mirror again. I still couldn't believe this was me.

When Ms. Jameson showed up to take me to the next place, she was almost as awed as I was. "Wow! Kendall, dear, you look stunning.", She told me with an excited expression, "This is going to be the best Ball yet!"

I quickly thanked the glam squad before following Ms. Jameson out of the room.

"The Ball starts in a little under an hour, but before we so to the ballroom, you need to go to the briefing in the dining hall. The briefing is will just be a short talk with the Masons, just to make sure everyone knows how this thing will go.", Ms. Jameson said, leading me to the dining hall.

I nodded and entered the dining hall where Hannah, Anna, John, and Mrs. and Mr. Mason were waiting by the long table where we usually eat.

John was the first one to turn around, and I could swear the way he looked at me, was enough to make my heart stop. He looked awed and he was wearing one of those genuine smiles that could make me melt.

"Kendall. You look... beautiful.", He said, staring at my appearance.

I couldn't help but blush. He's your foster brother! You cannot have a crush on your foster brother! Stop it Kendall!

"Thanks John. You don't look to bad, yourself.", I said, taking notice of his appearance.

John was wearing a classic tux with a tie and dress shoes. His hair was neatly combed to the side, and his natural features also helped him look, well, inhumanely attractive. As always.

"Hello everyone. I just wanted to remind everybody to be on their best behavior.", Mr. Mason began. "This is a vital part for my campaign for Governor. Several news reporters, politicians, and good friends of mine will be here tonight. If we can win their support, then we are one step closer to getting California's support. I don't want any fighting, or slip-ups tonight. You will act respectful to everyone, even if they're rude, is that clear?"

We all replied with a "yes", and he continued.

"Good. I also wanted to tell you that a news crew will be here for my speech, which means everything must run smoothly. So there better not be any commotion tonight. Now that this has been said, it's about time to go to the ballroom and prepare for our guests. Your escorts should be here around this time.", He finalized.