The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Six

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Shut up!" He didn't. Instead his voice got louder.

"Ali?"

"Shut up!" This time I screamed, "I can't breathe."

It was like someone had robbed me of air. My weak knees gave out, leaving me to crumble at the edge. The burning sensation growing stronger as I slammed against the ground.

"Alison," I cried harder. "Ali?"

"I can't breathe." Blood trickled down my neck as my fingers clawed against my skin. This happened before. The night my parents died. When my brother told me what happened. And on the day we buried my parents. When I saw my moms lifeless body.

They had tried their best to make her look like herself but she was nothing but an empty corpse who had stolen my mother's body. They could fix her body but not her soul. And that was the one thing I wanted to see when I forced myself up to her casket. I wanted to see her warm eyes. And her inviting smile. And when I looked down at her and realized that I would never see those things again, I lost it.

I never wanted to feel like that again. Yet here I was. Once again, over the person I loved most. Only this time he hadn't died.

I did.

Aiden

"Ask Aiden. He'll know." David mumbled, pulling Lily's phone away from his ear.

"What?" I stepped towards him.

"She said ask Aiden." David's voice shifted from a mumble to a growl as he gritted his teeth and headed towards me.

"Where the fuck is my daughter." He stopped his face inches from mine, trying to intimidate me.

"I have no idea."

"She said to ask you!"

"If I knew I wouldn't have come here. I would have went to her hours ago." Lily pulled her husband back.

"David he doesn't know."

I racked my brain for all the places she could have went. She always came to my house when she needed to get away. She came to me. My heart tore at the idea of her going somewhere else for comfort. The only other place she had was Johnson's cliff. My head snapped up at the thought.

Wood slammed against the wall as I threw open their front door, practically running to my car, "Call 911 and send them to Johnson's Cliff."

I could hardly see Lily's reaction but her voice made up for her face. She sobbed at the mention of a cliff. She realized what Alison planned to do and she couldn't handle it.

They followed in their own car as we sped through the rain.

Lights lit up the surrounding forest as we pulled into the parking lot. The ambulance had gotten here just seconds before us. With two police cars following them. Alison's truck was abandoned, wrapped around a tree. With her know where in sight.

When we got here I had no hope. The scene gave me an ounce. "Call for backup. We need to split up and look in the woods." I passed an officer, "Son, stay back." I shoved his arm out of my way as I ran into the trees to where I thought Ali was.

I didn't need a search party. I knew where I would find her. I just hoped I found her alive instead of a corpse being carried away by the current.

"Ali?" I screamed over the thunder.

A lump on the ground caused my heart to fall from my chest

"I can't breathe." A lifeless voice cried out on the ground.

"Alison," As I pulled her body into my lap, the ounce of hope I had slowly deteriorated, "Ali." Her eyes were closed. Her skin cold.

Voices clashed in the background. I shook her shoulders. "Oh my baby!" Lily's face dropped at the sight of Ali unconscious.

My palm cupped her cheeks, my tears falling with the rain onto her deathly white face.

The sight of her body made me ill. The urge to vomit was uncontrollable as I cried over her cold body. She was laying in my lap. I held her in my hands; yet they felt empty. The girl in my hands was not Alison. It wasn't my Ali.

A paramedic pried her from my grip, leaving me feeling emptier than ever. I watched as they laid her body on the stretcher. Lily lost herself over it for a mere second before they began pushing it out of the trees. David pulled her off the ground when she collapsed.

I had done this to them. I had done this to her. I ruined the one good thing in my life.
••••••