The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Six

The end didn't come with the impact of my car slamming against a tree. Even though I hoped it would. Instead it left me with just enough strength to pull myself out of my car and through the trees as I stumbled to my destination.

Aside from the burning sensation in my stomach and a cut on my arm from the broken glass of my window, I seemed to be okay. Only my vision started to haze as I got closer to where I wanted to be. About ten feet in front of me was the edge where rushing water waited impatiently. Below the cliff harsh waters slammed against jagged rocks. Without the storm this place was calm.

Before; I had come here to think- it was calm. Today, the water clashed with thunder as the sky released hell on us all. It was only three o'clock and the clouds had covered every inch of blue. There was hardly any sun seeping through.  The rain had gotten so bad I could no longer make out what was rain and what was tears; as the waters mixed as they poured down my face.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. When I pulled it out the screen had broken and I could hardly make out the name as the screen lit up.

Lily.

She didn't deserve this. She at least deserved a goodbye. "Alison? Honey, where are you?"

she had been crying.

"I love you Lily," I paused unable to continue. "I love you and David and Hailey, tell her even when she snores all night."

"No, you tell her that when you come home." She pleaded on the other end, "You tell her Alison. Come home."

"I'm already going home Lily."

"Thank god. Where are you? How long until you get here; I'm worried sick." My heart shattered at her sigh of relief.

"Lily,"

"What honey?"

"Home isn't where you are." My eyes drifted up to the grey sky.

It was with them.

There was silence until a rustling sound filled it. She had dropped the phone. "Alison, what's going on? You are scaring Lily." It was David.

"David, thank you for loving me as your daughter."

"Alison; be rational. Come home and we can work this out. Just tell us where you are." He kept himself calmer than Lily. It almost sounded like he hadn't been nervous at all. Until he hesitated to finish talking. Scared as if he stopped then I'd take it as he was done and the phone call was over.

"Ask Aiden." I hit the end button, not able to bare hearing them anymore. If they had kept talking I didn't know if I could go through with it.

Aiden's face flashed across the path in front of me. "I love you, Ali."

His rare smile blinded me. "You are so perfect."

His voice deafening.

"I never want to lose you."

But he did.

Uncontrollable cries fell from my quivering lips. My body crashing to the ground, leaving me with no strength or desire to get up and keep going. My body hurt.

My heart hurt.

Mud smeared against my hands as I forced myself off the soaked forest floor. All I could see was Aiden. All I could hear was Aiden.

"I want you."

"Leave me alone!" I gripped my ears, trying to block out any sound.

"I will never leave you."