Leaving Paradise for Death

Ebony Amaranth, 18, District 1 Tribute

I wake up, the sun shining through the window. I'm still in a good mood from last night. I received the highest score this year; ten. It'd be even better if I didn't have to share that score with Nick, but I'm happy I have a good score. It's much better than Cris' score in his games, he only got a five. I look at my bed, to find that the training outfit isn't there. Oh, right. Today's the day of the interviews; tomorrow the Games begin. It only feels like yesterday when I arrived here in the Capitol. Has it already been five days? I walk to the closet and pick out a simple outfit, then walk out of my room. I walk down the hall, and into the dining room, to the breakfast banquet. Emerald's sitting, eating some fruit, and Twinkle, Emerald's mentor, is drinking an energy drink.

"Morning Ebony. Any sign of your brother this morning?" Twinkle says, finishing her drink.

"No," I say, "He's probably still asleep, knowing him." She mutters something under her breath, before getting up.

"Excuse me for a moment." She walks out of the room, towards the bedrooms. I hear a loud banging.

"Hey, Cris! Get up, you lazy slob! You have to prep your brother for the interviews!" I can hear Twinkle yelling at him. Finally, a groan emanates from his room, and he stumbles out, wearing a bath robe. "Really?" Twinkle groans, "You could have at least had the decency to put some clothes on first."

"Oh, I'm sorry, am I bothering you again?" He says, letting out a chuckle.

"Just, get dressed, all right?" Twinkle snaps, "Or I'll ensure you and Ebony switch places in the Games. The two of you look similar enough, so they won't know the difference. Who knows, it may be funny watching you get skewered by a twelve year old." Twinkle chuckles herself at her statement. Sighing, Cris saunters back to his room, shutting the door. Less than a minute later, he re-emerges, looking like he just threw the first items of clothing he could find on, which he probably did.

"There, happy?" He says, glaring at Twinkle. I see Emerald suppress a giggle at the scene that's playing out in front of her. I don't blame her, it is funny.

"Alright, now down to business," Twinkle says, "The interviews. Both of you will spend the day with your mentor as they coach you for the interviews; Ebony, you're with Cris. And Emerald, you're with me." Of course. Of all people to coach me, it had to be my brother. I just sigh, and take a sip from a glass of water.

--

"Okay, so now to choose how we'll go about presenting you." Cris says, studying me intently. "You're not big enough for the intimidating angle; you have the wrong body type. The romantic angle's a no go, and the sympathy card doesn't work with a Career." he stops talking, and begins to go over something in his head. "That's it! We'll go for the charismatic, likeable guy look."

"Really? You've known me for eighteen years, yet you had a hard time figuring out how I should present myself tonight?" I say, in disbelief.

"No, it's just that," he trails off, his eyes darting around the room, "Never mind. So, let's see how likeable you really are."

We practice the angle, me cracking jokes, and flashing smiles, and Cris' hilarious impression of Caesar Flickerman. We continue for several hours, until I see Cris beginning to grow tired.

"Wanna take a break?" I say.

"Yeah, why not. Let's grab some lunch and try again afterwards. I don't know about you, but I'm starving." We walk out of the room, and head to the dining room. I sit at the table, and Emerald and Twinkle appear.

"So, what's Emerald's angle for the interview?" I ask.

"We're going for sly and elusive." Twinkle says, looking at Emerald. She nods in confirmation.