Encountering the Insane

I can't believe it. I've found him, and he's alive.

"Samuel!" I cry out of the window. He looks directly at me, a long gash across his face. I run outside, and embrace him.

"You're alright!"

"Of course, it's not like I did nothing in training," he smiles at me, and I smile back. He's okay. A little beaten up, but okay.

"What's going on, Elektra?" Olyver stands at the doorway, half awake, "You found your district partner? Oh, you did! Bring him in, we'll treat his wounds,"

"Elektra, are they going to hurt me?" he shakes slightly.

"No, they're my allies. If they hurt you, I'll kill them before you can say 'Ow',"

He cringes slightly as Olyver cleans his gash.

"How'd you get that nasty injury, anyway?"

"At the Cornucopia, I got out, but the boy from District 1 followed me. He sliced me with his sword. But I escaped when they saw District 7 sneaking away, and got distracted. Ouch!" his eyes are pricked with tears as the disinfectant makes contact with the wound. I tense up, thinking that Olyver did this on purpose, but he quickly apologises.

"Got any food?" Samuel shakes his head.

"Someone stole my bag when I was asleep,"

"Well, we have plenty of- Oh no," I look at the pile of bags. The bag with food and water isn't there. And I finished my personal supply last night.

"What?! We must have left it in the sewers yesterday. Kai, Luke. Get up." the sewers. I think back to that noise I heard. Something lives down there. Something that doesn't like tributes hiding away down there with it.

We walk down the street, trying to remember where the entrance is. Samuel stops, pointing to a pool of blood.

"Look, someone's been here," I see more blood on the walls of the buildings. And then I see the message.

10 down, 14 to go.

Look out tributes.

We're coming for you.

-D2

That sick monster. Not only did he gruesomely tear this innocent girl apart, but he wrote a warning to others. In her blood.

"Dear lord," Luke has turned a visible shade of green.

"Perhaps we should leave here. I'm sure we'll find food elsewhere," Kai's shaking. I would be too, if I saw an ominous message written in the blood of Samuel.

"They've been writing messages like these all across the arena. I've already seen two. But they said 'Nowhere is safe' and 'You can't hide forever'. I think they're just trying to scare us into running into them," Samuel seems strangely calm. Olyver walks up the street, and finds the manhole. He shouts us over.

Luke helps him open it again, whilst Kai looks at the sky. I look up too, and see a swarm of black clouds slowly filling the sky. Right now, they're in the distance. My gaze drifts to the end of the street, with the message in blood. Something feels so terribly off, and in the corner of my eye, I could swear I see movement.

"Done! Now let's get some food!" Olyver wipes the sweat off his brow, panting.

It's a shame I paid too much attention to him, otherwise I would have been able to warn him of the arrow that just hit his forearm.

He collapses to the floor, and I see the entire Career pack materialise from the shadows. The girl from 1 loads another arrow, aimed at Samuel. The pair from 4 are armed with tridents, the boy from 1 wielding a spear, and both from 2 holding blood-encrusted swords.

The girl releases the arrow, and in one swift motion, I throw Samuel to the ground, the arrow missing. We all get up, and the Careers charge.

I take Samuel, and make a break for the blood message, the rest of the alliance throwing themselves into the sewers, followed by District 1. We turn the corner, and sprint down another street. Left and right, we keep turning until there's no way of telling how to get back. Eventually, I grow tired, and we throw ourselves into the next building. I slam the door shut, and barricade it with the table on the other side of the room. We climb the flights of stairs until we reach the top floor. It's a simple room with a plain bed and a closet. I look out of the window, at the street below. As I look, it dawns on me.

We were led into an ambush. Our food pack was with us last night, one of the Careers must have taken it, leading us to believe we left it at the last place of conflict. I haven't heard any cannon, though, so they didn't manage to kill anyone. As the sun sets, I notice a building in the distance, shining. It looks like it came straight from the Capitol. I check on Samuel, who's fallen asleep on the bed. I look out of the window, and see it.

The boy from District 2, kicking open the doors of the buildings. He's obviously searching for us. I see his sword, which could easily decapitate the both of us. I go over to Samuel, and begin to wake him.

"Samuel, get up," I whisper in a hushed voice. He mumbles.

"Samuel, you have to get up. Come on Samuel, you have to-"

THUD. THUD. THUD.

Samuel props up, dazed. He's heard the noise. I freeze, not daring to breathe as I hear the door give in. I hear him mutter.

"Perfect."

I begin to edge away from the door as I hear him climbing the stairs.

"District 3, District 3, where aaare you?" I look out of the window, trying to find a way out of this. I hear the door bust open. I feel a sharp pain in my back, and the next thing I know is, I'm falling.