This Year's Batch

ARC II - THE 68TH GAMES

Head Gamemaker Dew, President's rose garden, the Capitol

I walk out of my office, clutching the finalised documents for the arena. I've spent every day since the victory tour perfecting the stage for this year's games.

The elevator stops, and I walk out into the president's rose garden. The seemingly endless garden is in full bloom; pure white roses as far as the eye can see. I find president Snow in the centre of the garden, observing the plants.

"Head Gamemaker Dew, I was expecting you yesterday," he addresses me, "You missed the reapings. I trust that your absence was due to a last minute adjustment to the arena," he gives me a cold look, the same one that he gave to the last head Gamemaker, Pyrus, when she allowed 2 tributes, twin careers from District 4, to win. The medical team executed the boy during recovery, blaming it on an allergic reaction to the medicine. Pyrus then became the avox for the tributes from 4 due to that.

"Yes, sir. I've added quite the surprise for the arena," his glare loses that deadly edge,

"This had better be good, you know how I hate unexpected developments." I hand him the documents. He scans the papers for a few minutes, then hands them back.

"Excellent. This'll up the entertainment factor for sure this year," he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a piece of paper, "I've made a copy of the tribute list for you. It wouldn't be good to throw a surprise, and not know who's on the receiving end, would it?" I take the piece of paper, and see the names of the tributes, along with an image of their face.

District 1 (Luxury)

Male: Ebony Amaranth (18) 

Female: Emerald Glitters (18)

District 2 (Masonry)

Male: Nicholas Darwick (18)

Female: Ariella Grayson (17)

District 3 (Technology)

Male: Veris Sphene (17)

Female: Magnum Flowes (15)

District 4 (Fishing)

Male: Ryder Bristen (18)

Female: Annemarie LaMarcus (17)

District 5 (Power)

Male: Scott Brindle (12)

Female: Maia Kentner (16)

District 6 (Transportation)

Male: Tyler Hawes (13)

Female: Alanna Pyre (12)

District 7 (Lumber)

Male: Kitro Token (14)

Female: Maple Barkley (16)

District 8 (Textiles)

Male: Flax Baize (14)

Female: Quinna Relling (15)

District 9 (Grain)

Male: Aaron Marksly (17)

Female: Ella Vac (12)

District 10 (Livestock)

Male: Hunter Ruiz (17)

Female: Nikki Hart (15)

District 11 (Agriculture)

Male: Kyle Duran (17)

Female: Afya Zahirah (16)

District 12 (Mining)

Male: Tobias McHaden (18)

Female: April Holme (14)

"What an interesting batch this year," I look through the list once more, "It's as if fate hand picked the perfect tributes for these games."

"Indeed," The president gets off the bench, places a white rose in his suit, and walks to the elevator.

"I have to prepare for the chariot parade speech tomorrow, so I'm leaving. And Dew, I've been impressed with your work these past few years. Don't let me down this year,"

"Of course not, sir."