Chapter 20

Jace's POV

I sat down on the sofa next to Taylor and gave her a bowl of popcorn, which she gladly accepted. We sat in silence as we watched re-runs of How I Met Your Mother, except for when Taylor would laugh at something.

My phone started ringing, and I answered it without looking to see who it was.

"hello"

"alpha we have a slight problem" Jack said into the phone. Jack was my fourth in command, and was in charge since Eric and Drake were gone for the week. I stood up and walked into the kitchen, where I knew Taylor wouldn't hear our conversation so well.

"what is it?" I asked him.

"the rogues know we left and are now searching for us. They've been through alot of the other territories."

"shit. Alright, then you're gonna have to get some people to patrol out land, and some guards aswell. I've found my mate and am staying with her, so I'll protect her"

"okay alpha. And congratulations on finding your mate" he said before hanging up. I groaned and closed my eyes. I knew that if the rogues found us, the firs person that they'd be after would be my mate, because it makes us alphas weaker, and quick to find them without thinking anything through, so they'd have a better chance to kill us and take over our pack.

"you alright?" I opened my eyes and saw Taylor stood in the doorway. I was so into my thoughts, I didn't even hear her come in. I sighed and sat down.

"yeah, just got a lot to take care of." she walked over and took the stool next to me.

"how about we go for a little walk?"

"where to?" I asked her.

"to a little place I know in the woods. Come on it'll take your mind off things." she said pulling me up. I tried to stand my ground, but she just kept pulling, so I eventually stood up.

"come on." she said, slipping her converse on. She went out the back door, and I followed her, taking long strides until I was walking next to her. We carried on walking in silence until we reached the lake I went to yesterday.

She sat down at the edge of the lake, and I sat down next to her.

"how'd you find this place?" I asked her, and she just shrugged.

"I came here the other day because I had nothing else to do." I could tell she wanted to tell me something else, but she didn't.

"how did you know I would like it out here?" I asked her.

"sometimes that's all someone needs. Some peace and quiet, and somewhere they can go to get their mind off of things."

We sat in silence for the rest of the evening. When the sun started to set, Taylor laid back on the ground and watched the sun set, and then gazed at the stars. I could tell she was in deep thought about something, so I decided not to bother her.

After a while, I got up and put my hand out for her to take.

"you ready to go back home now?" she took my hand and stood up, brushing the mud off her trousers.

"yeah." we walked back to the house in silence, but it was a comfortable silence. When we got to the house, it was pretty late, and Taylor said she was going to bed.

"night" she said walking away.

"night" I called after her.

The next day passed pretty quickly. Me and Taylor lazed around the house, just talking about pointless things to get the time to pass away.