“What’s that?”

I walk to the kitchen and take out the bûche de Noël from the fridge. “It’s a French Christmas cake,” I say as I slice the cake into a few pieces.

She looks confused. “I thought you vamps drink blood, not human food.”

“And I thought you wolves are carnivores,” I reply with a smirk though I know that werewolves are practically half human so they eat human food.

She glares at me. “You know what I mean, sis.”

For a second, I feel warm at her words. She just called me sis. I’m still having a rough time believing all this, especially knowing that Marcy is my twin.

I serve her the plate as I explain, “I always have human food just in case of visitors. We don’t want them to be suspicious of us…”

She nods in agreement and takes a bite into the cake. I take a seat opposite of her, watching her eat. I feel my throat burning, wanting blood. I push the thought of thirst away. I’ll drink when Marcy is not around. I don’t want her to see me drinking human blood from blood bags in front of her.

I look away and look at the clock. Another 20 minutes until Jacques and Isabeau will arrive.

“So…” Marcy starts.

I look at her questioningly.

“How was our father like?” she asks quietly.

Thousands of memories fill in my head. “His name was Philippe Weinbach. He was the leader of our coven until he died. He works as a doctor...”

Her eyes widen in amazement. “A doctor? How can he stand the thirst?” she interjects.

“It takes years of practice, Marcy. It’s not as easy as you think. It took me years as well to ignore a bleeding human nearby. I used to jump on every human in sight but luckily papa was there to stop me.” I take a shaky breath.

Marcy cringes away from me. I don’t blame her, she must be thinking of the little vampire girl she killed in the woods. At first I was afraid that the little girl was Isabeau. I mean, she is my unbiological sister so I care for her a lot. I’m so grateful to see that it wasn’t. Isabeau will be safe here with me keeping an eye on her from harm’s way.

“How did he die?” Marcy asks even quieter than before.

I close my eyes as I whisper, “Werewolves kill him when he was hunting alone on Monday night. Ripped his throat out. That’s why I was skeptical and harsh around you. I used to hate werewolves so much…” I think of how fast my feelings change for werewolves.

Marcy’s face fall a little. “What about now?”

“You changed my mind. You made me see that not all werewolves are bad,” I say truthfully.

She grins at me. “That’s funny because I don’t hate vampires as much as I did before I met you. Except for the vampire who is supposed to be my mate.” She growls at the last part and spits out the word ‘mate’.

Knock, knock.

I use my vampire speed to open the door. Only to see a grinning Jacques and a concealing Isabeau.

“Jacques!” I exclaim, hugging him.

He chuckles and pats my head. “Petit papillon misses us already?”

I scowl at him and quickly fix my hair. Isabeau steps towards me. “Sammy!” I pick her up and spin around in circles as she giggles.

“I’m glad you guys are here,” I state after putting Isabeau down. Jacques grin vanish as he becomes serious.

“I got information about-” He suddenly gasps and his eyes shows fear. Isabeau scurries behind Jacques, whimpering quietly. I turn around to see that it is Marcy. Why are they acting this… Oh… I didn’t tell them about werewolves.

Jacques steps in so he can be in between Marcy and I. He hisses at her, showing his fangs at her. Marcy, on the other hand, is growling at him. I can tell that her growlings are because of instincts.

“Jacques,” I say, putting my hand on his shoulder in order to calm him down. He ignores me, staring menacingly at a shaking Marcy. I feel a small pair of hands wrapped around my waist. I recognize these hands as Isabeau’s. Marcy’s eyes are now on Isabeau as she growls louder. Her wolf must be trying to fight for control to protect me from Isabeau. Isabeau’s whimpers are turning into sobs.

“Jacques,” I command. His body stiffens at the command. I hate to use this voice but I have no choice but to use it to calm him down. His blue eyes look into my now grey ones. “She is not our enemy.”

“It is a werewolf,” he says, disbelieved.

“I know. That werewolf is my sister.”