Chapter 54: Better Times

They hugged for a while and then Emily said that Derek was going to love the letter.

"Do you really think so?" Bella asked turning to look at her.

"Yeah" Emily smiled.

"Don't tell him about it, okay?" Bella said.

"I won't. You'll give to him when you're ready" Emily said and hugged Bella again. She smelled the girl's neck, then her hair, then she moved to the neck again and then the tummy.

"You need a shower" Emily said.

"No, I don't" Bella said laughing as Emily kept smelling her and it was tickling.

"Yeah you do. Come on" Emily said lifting the girl up. Bella just kept laughing as Emily walked to the bathroom and tickled her stomach. Emily put her down and said "I'll get your pjs" and walked out. Bella took her clothes off and got in the shower.

"It's on the sink, okay honey?" Emily said as she placed the pajamas on the sink.

"Okay" Bella said. Emily walked out and went to shower in the other bathroom.

A while later both met in the bedroom.
"Do you need help with your hair?" Emily asked as she saw Bella drying it with a towel. The girl walked to her and handed her the brush. Emily combed it and then combed her own hair.

"All ready for bed?" Emily asked.

"Yup" Bella said and Emily smiled.

"Teeth too?" Emily asked.

"Oops" Bella said and ran to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and then went to bed.
They laid down and suddenly heard a noise at the front door. Bella hugged Emily tight and hid her face.

"Shuuuuuu it's okay. It's outside" Emily said trying to calm the girl down.

"It's the door" Bella said as her eyes filled with tears.

"Hello, anybody home?" Came Penelope's voice.
Both breathed out relieved. Bella ran to the door.

"Don't you ever do that again" Bella said as she hugged Penelope.

"Do what bunny?" Garcia asked confused.

"Come here super late and make noises at the door" Bella said and let go of the hug.

"Oh I'm sorry pumpkin. I didn't mean to scare you. My Key got stuck" Penelope said feeling bad and hugged Bella again.

"Did they catch the guy?" Emily asked.

"No. It was really late and everyone was tired. We'll resume tomorrow morning" Garcia said and Emily made a sorry face.

"Well, it is late so you young lady should be in bed right now" Emily said. "Say goodnight to Aunt Penelope and back to bed" she said.

"Night" Bella said and hugged Garcia again.

"Sorry I scared you" Penelope said.

"It's okay" Bella said. Emily smiled.

"Let's go." Emily said but Bella didn't move. "To bed. Come on" she said and pulled Bella by the hand.

Isabella laid down and Emily laid next to her.
"Do you want a story tonight?" Emily asked as she laid on her left side and faced Bella.

"Did you forget I'm 9 and not 4?" Bella said.

"Oh yeah? You're too old for bed time stories huh?" Emily said smiling and pushing hair away from the child's face.

"I'm not too old for songs though" Bella said and Emily laughed.

"Close your eyes" Emily said getting closer to Bella and wrapping the girl in her arms. Bella turned and hid her face on her mother's chest.