Chapter Four: Shikamaru

Start from the beginning

I suppose she’s just a naturally intense person’ I reasoned.I still wasn’t wearing any shoes so I followed Yoshino – san into the kitchen. I heard grumbling and shuffling until I finally saw a boy about my age that was obviously the son of Shikaku.

Shikamaru.’ We locked eyes and I felt something warm in my chest and my face heat up. ‘He’s so hot!’ I thought to myself. I dropped the can of corn I was holding in the midst of my staring. I kicked it up with the inside of my foot like a soccer ball (A/N or ‘football’ if you’re British, which I am clearly not) and caught it again, like a boss. Not that I was going to say it out loud of course.

“That’s an impressive move you’ve got there.” Yoshino – san complemented.

“Thank you, a klutz like me has to learn how to not screw up.” I sheepishly stated with a nervous chuckle.

“What do you mean?” Yoshino – san asked confused.

“Oh,Gomen'nasai! I tend to speak in riddles, but you have no idea what I’m talking about. I mastered my kekkei genkai at a young age so I was expected to fight in the war where I used to live, but I was a huge klutz so my master taught me how to counter it so no friendly fire would occur.” I spoke while putting the flour, sugar and canned items on the counter as I had no idea where anything went.

“What did he teach you?” Shikaku – san asked me.

“Well, because things always got knocked over whenever I danced in a small room…”I sweat dropped “, or danced in general, he taught me how to fight while dancing.”

“That’s odd, I’ve never heard of that before.” Yoshino – san commented. I laughed.

“If you haven’t noticed Yoshino – san, everything about me is odd.” I grinned with sparkling eyes even though they couldn’t see them because of my sunglasses. “But that was when I was young; it’s not so bad anymore. It took me ten years to learn how to deal with my lankiness, but I figured it out eventually and that’s all that matters, right?”

“Right.” Yoshino – san grinned. “Shikamaru! Stop standing there doing nothing and come help!” She urged, exasperated.

“What do you need me to do?” He asked. His bored voice was like music to my ears and I blushed. He sounded like he complained a lot but I got the same “lazy but genius” vibe from Shikamaru as his father. Shikaku – san gave him cleaning supplies to put away in the hall closet. When he came back, we had finished and had started to get settled at the kitchen table. Shikaku – san took a sip of whatever was in his hand before he started talking to us.

“I have an announcement to make.” Shikaku started. I watched their expressions carefully as I sat across from Shikaku. Shikamaru looked serious and his mother looked concerned. “By the order of the Third Hokage, Kaida Yōso is to stay with us for the time being. Shikamaru, be a man and sleep on the floor. You’re bunking with Kai for the time being.”

“Nani?! Aw, come on! What a drag.” He complained. I looked away, my heart clenching and I wanted to make him feel better.

“Um… actually, I’m used to sleeping on concrete with nothing but a shirt on my back… a wooden floor is kind after that sort of experience… I’m not exactly used to sleeping on a mattress, you see. I won’t be able to go to sleep for hours.”

“Alright, if that’s what you prefer.” Shikaku – san nodded.

“No, you’re the girl. I’ll sleep on the floor. Sorry for the complaining, this is just very sudden.” Shikamaru bluntly stated. I laughed.

“I was being serious Shikamaru. And don’t be sexist. It’s annoying.” I was firm on the sexist part. Girls can do anything a guy can, and they can do it in high heels. But any way you look at it, women rule the world. ;)