Chapter Two: A Warm Welcome

Video on the side. "Alice by Avril Lavigne." I thought it would be appropriate. "(^_^)"

 Chapter Two: A Warm Welcome

***Kaida’s POV***

I reached a set of tall gates that read “Konohagakure” on them. I stopped and looked around through my sunglasses to make sure I wasn’t being followed and no one from this area would sneak up on me.

What kind of city lets in complete strangers without care or caution? Are they so foolish as to blindly trust outsiders, or is their military that profound?’ I continued forward with suspicious eyes, hoping to find out the answers to my own questions. I allowed my bare, filthy feet to walk cautiously across the thresh hold of the gates. As soon as I was through, I looked right, then left and caught the eye of a man that looked to be in his late teens who had a bit of hair over one of his eyes. He nudged the sleeping man next to him which caused him to tip over and fall on the ground.

“Izumo! What the heck man!?” shouted the injured snoozer indignantly. The man I assumed was Izumo shouted back at first.

“Kotetsu! Look alive! ... We have company.” He eyed me as he said ‘company’. He looked at my streaked red and silver hair and emerald/ sapphire eyes with well – hidden shock, but I ignored it. It was a little unnerving how he looked me up and down in general, not that I wasn’t used to it, maybe judging how big of a threat I could be or how old I was. I didn’t know or care one way or the other because I was staring them both down in the same analytical way.

At the moment, I was really dirty and had cuts and bruises all over my body. I had a tan leather-like shirt on that exposed my bandaged stomach and sleeveless right arm while long sleeved on my left arm and had a normal rounded neckline. I had two cantas strapped onto my back with dark brown sheath holders that crisscrossed in front and behind me, holey and ripped black shorts with a small black knife attached to my right hip (it was black so it would camouflage to my pants in the dark), a sword with a dark green sheath strapped with a black sheath holder around my waist and black shoes. Did I mention that my entire body was wrapped in white bandages except my face? It felt like the bandages around my neck were choking me sometimes, but it was worth it.

 Izumo gestured for me to come closer. He must have seen the uncertain glint I had in my eyes because he smiled reassuringly to me. I made my way over to the duo at a slow pace. I didn’t want any surprises.

“Paperwork?” Kotetsu asked sounding utterly bored out of his mind.

“Blunt, aren’t you?” I asked unimpressed. Izumo smirked at my jibe directed at his comrade. I smirked back at the gatekeeper. Kotetsu scoffed.

“Yeah, what of it?” I glared at him, annoyed. “Well?” he questioned.  I huffed.

“No, I do not have any of the precious ‘paperwork’ you so require. Excuse me for coming so utterly unprepared your highness.” I spat, sarcasm dripping from every word. Izumo coughed hard in attempt to hide his laughter. Kotetsu grew an anime vein but quickly calmed down after a few slow breaths, just enough time for Izumo to get over his laughing fit.

“Then at least tell us your name, age, and where you’re from, please.” Izumo politely asked with a grin. I nodded, it was now or never.

“Kaida, ten, and west.” I replied quickly. Izumo glanced up at me from the form he was writing my information down on.

“Kaida…?” He raised an eyebrow.

Just Kaida.” I answered in a sure and meaningful tone. My vivid hard eyes bored into his very soul, demanding for him to understand.