Chapter Six: The Chase

Am I mean? YES!!! I AM SOOOOO SOOOO SUPER SORRY!!!!! IT IS NEARLY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR (IT'S BEEN THREE MONTHS!!) AND I HAVEN'T DONE MUCH FOR YOU GUYS TO SAVE YOU FROM BOREDOM!!!! I am ashamed of myself! I've been having panic attacks over grades and I was being selfish and neglecting all of you! I really hope that this chapter will make up for it somewhat! It's the longest one (I think). "You Don't Know Me" by Elizabeth Gillies on the side. :)

I HAVE ALSO UPDATED AND REVISED ALL OF THE CHAPTERS!!!!!! YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO BACK AND READ THEM!!!!!!

Stay fabulous! <3

Chapter Six: The Chase

***3rd POV***

It was an unfortunate mistake involving the mental damage in terms of her multiple names, where the illness took place. In truth, her multiple names were all from superstition in her clan. The belief that a person could bring misfortune on another through magic and sealings caused fear among the people. To counter this, some people of the Yōso clan would hide their real names and give an alias. In fact, this practice became so common that it developed into tradition. Only the immediate family, close friends, and one’s self were said to be capable of keeping it safe, but at the age of eight, the second common name is given which grants the “true name” more protection as a second line of defense.

In Melody’s case however, her first “common name” (Rin) is the one she had when she was abused unlike her second common name, Kaida, which is the one she had during all of her positive experiences. In her mind, Kaida saw the needle and Rin reacted. Kaida didn’t want to run, she wanted to face it and endure the pain to establish trust even though this side of her is very unfeeling, she does everything to help and protect Melody. She knew that if anything went wrong, Suirō would take care of her in a moment’s notice but if he got too annoyed, he would break up the internal struggle, which was quite painful for the little girl and her multiple personalities. Rin acted on instinct and ran away from the object that had hurt Melody so many times - because running is so much easier than stopping to think things through and risk the others catching up. Kaida, Rin, and Melody had an internal battle about what to do and what was dangerous. All three of them don’t like taking big risks and venturing into uncharted/unfamiliar territory is an astronomical risk for them. Considering they were already on edge and adding a needle to that scenario equaled “losing it” - the last thing Melody wanted to do- it is no surprise one of them broke under the pressure of trying not “to lose it” but “losing it” anyway.

So, Kaida-Rin Melody Morino-Yōso sprinted through the forest, unaware that no one was chasing her and was only, in a sense, running from her past.

        ***

Meanwhile…

Shikaku and Shibi arrived at the Hokage’s office and knocked boldly on the plain heavy door. He bid the struggling duo passage and they collapsed on the wooden floor.

        “Sir!” they gasped. The Hokage and four others balked at the sight of the two injured jonin.

“What, in the name of the Leaf happened?!” Saratobi questioned sternly, standing up from his plush leather chair. The duo disentangled their arms and struggled for breath. After a few moments, they managed to lean themselves against the now closed door and wall.

“Kaida saw a needle and panicked. She did this to us, but when I looked in her eyes, she looked half crazed.” Shikaku wheezed.

“She’s not normal, do not underestimate her.” The ever careful Shibi added, “Shikaku – san and I… were both trying to restrain her… but if you want to catch her… you’re going to have to aim to kill…” He gasped for air as he fought to speak. Shibi’s condition was worse than Shikaku’s considering the frightened girl (Rin) had sliced his arm and leg, while his companion only had his arm sliced at. Black ooze started to drip from the wounds before they arrived at the Hokage’s mansion to the point where their clothes were mostly stained black and the men had to grip their limbs and hold back tears at the pain as Kaida’s poisonous chakra started flowing through their veins at a steady pace. A grim and ominous air had suddenly set in the room. The Hokage, the Fire Shadow of the Village Hidden in the Leaves turned to look at who he had summoned for this supposedly C-ranked mission with the potential of it turning to a B-rank. Kurenai, Asuma, and Kakashi, all looked at each other, having a silent conversation.