5: Curiosity Kills.

19th of December, still six days in Christmas. It was snowing in Atlanta. The layer of snowflakes were covering the whole front garden. The view of backyard had become much more horrendous. The aged monstrous trees looked dryer than before. Its long knotty branches which were all over the backyard were covered entirely with the snowflakes. Everything was making it look more atrocious and horrible.

Black birds were flying over the tallish tress which were covered in dusting of snow, as did the grass on the ground. Flowers were deceased because of cold. The bench near the end of the garden beneath the oldest tree looked wholly white. Its black marble couldn't be seen now as the snow had covered it so perfectly. Any evilness in the garden was hidden at the present. Everything looked so peaceful and quiet. Nothing could be heard except the sound of subtle breezes of wind blowing.

Only six days left in Christmas and she didn't have a new dress to wear nor she did any shopping. Adeline woke up with a jerk when she was about to fall off the bed while turning her back. Sat up on her bed and gazed at the large wooden clock while rubbing her one eye. 10:30 in the morning. Adeline quickly got off from her bed and reached the bathroom before shutting and locking the door behind her.
After taking a hot shower she brushed her teeth. While she was in bathroom she decided to go straight to the study after breakfast for further information. Her curiosity always impelled her to take risks somehow. Why my curiosity always gets the best of me and It always overcomes my fear. It will kill me!

She came out of the bathroom and stared at her wardrobe to get changed into something good. Finally after searching she wore a brown sweatshirt and a brown checked skirt over black leggings. Her hair were tied in a ponytail roughly.

She swung open the door of her so-called room. And enter into the hall way. She stood there for a while and her eyes went up to the door of study. There wasn't any song playing this time. She moved her gaze before started roaming. Her gaze landed on the kitchen which was too big. A table was placed in the center. Fine red cloth was covering the surface of the table. A candle stand was stood so proudly in the middle. She reached inside the kitchen and decided to use it for the first time. Adeline checked if she have anything for breakfast. Thankfully she had grocery.

After frying an egg she turn the burner off and reached the table. Adeline finished her breakfast quickly and washed her dishes as she didn't have any servants.

While washing her dishes she felt like someone was watching her. She could feel intense gaze on her back, her hands twitched without thinking anything else she turned around abruptly and no one was there. No one. Just the empty kitchen like it was before. She was sure someone was watching her.

Adeline quickly dried her hands and paced towards the Hall which was dimly lit with candles. The sun rays were forcing itself to pass through the net curtains and lightening the Hall hardly. Her brown eyes moved from the Hall and glanced towards the grandfather clock which struck 12:00 pm.

She walked through the Hall and went to the stairs case.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

She could feel her steps becoming heavier and harder to continue. Hardly, but she made it to upstairs and advanced towards the study. Her hand stretched out and grasped the cold handle which send shivers down her body. Moving the handle in downwards direction and the door swung open. Same as it was the last time she visited. It was much more colder from outside. She hesitated but her curiosity got better of her. She entered in the empty silent room and started pacing around, everything was so old in there. She felt a shiver when her fingers made contact with a dead cold record which was set to play. She turned around and stopped by the window. A lovely scene was in front of her. The snow falling silently. 19th of December. Small snowflakes were brushing against the window glass. The view from that window which used to show the sinister and goodness was too different now. The evilness and the goodness was now overshadowed by the coldness of December. It was difficult to distinguish between them, no prominent boundary could be seen between the two gardens.