8: A Guest At Meadow Nook

Of course, he knew the way to the Meadow house. In last 20 years he had been coming here every month. He knew that it's righteous owners died years ago along with his father. This place always made him remind of his father. He was a sincere man, loyal to his job and he did what was in his power. Till his last breath he was determined to catch the killer. But ever since his father got murdered, Joseph began to despise the idea of being a police officer. He got so many letters from the station offering him different jobs. His father's close friends requested him to stay with them but he turned down their offers every time despite being asked so many times.

He wanted to live in his home, in his father's home. Miss Grandy, his neighbor was his only guardian left, she owned the 'Hunters Café' at that time. That nice woman used to fetch him food everyday and night. She even let him had the restaurant after her.

Joseph always knew that the killer was on loose but he never tried to  find him. Even though he wanted to slice his body down into thousand of pieces. The fire inside of him never subdued. He just learnt to endure it.

He was now standing in front of an iron gate. He pushed it open and there came in view was a huge building. He started walking down the path between the tremendous garden. He couldn't see the end of the garden, there was darkness all around him. Monstrous trees stood tall, its dark gnarled branches were emerged in the sky. Everything around him was so dead silent that he could hear his own steps, leaving behind footprints in the snow.

The sky looked heavenly beautiful. Ice crystals in the clouds were reflecting the sunlight which gave birth to the purple clouds.

Radically beautiful

It felt as if everything was taking note of his steps. He could feel presence there as if he was being discussed. He looked around himself as if trying to find his father like a lost child.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you Dad." he whispered to himself.

It was the first time he actually crossed that iron gate and was not standing outside looking at the building. Every step was becoming more heavier to take, he felt guilty for hiding away for so long. He while looking around, walked towards the front door and knocked on it. For a second Noel's face came to his mind. How she begged his father to help her.

I have to fight I cant run away like before, I wont this time. I have to face whatsover is coming for me. Even if its death. I'm not scared anymore. I'm into it now. No more hiding Joseph Edward Williams.

He heard the clicking of lock. And there stood Adeline Carter in front of him. Suddenly a smile formed on his lips.

A human. This girl, why is she always this chirpy? And why does she always gawk?

"You can stop gawking now." Joseph smiled.

"I'm Not gawking!" She snapped.

"If you say so." he shrugged. "Looks like you were expecting someone else."

"No it's just you came earlier than I expected."

"Oh yeah that I believe is correct." He nodded and walked past Adeline. He entered the warm hall.

He took off his coat and hung it from the nearby hook revealing a black shirt underneath it. 

"Ah. Muffler. Yeah." He unwrapped his muffler off his neck and handed it over to Adeline.

What am I supposed to do with it? Stuff it in his mouth?

He ran his fingers into his soft brown hair and pushed them back from his face. Due to intense cold his ears had turned red. And his eyes? They always stand out. They looked spectacular on his extra pale skin.