10: Origin 1963

Flashback from 6 year old Joseph;

July, 4th, 1963.

08:00 am in the morning, summers at Atlanta, sweet warmness all around. Birds were chirping and flying in circles over the gigantic lush green trees. Whole town was celebrating the 4th of July. Red and blue flags were seen waving all over the state. Small stalls were arranged in every corner, people were distributing cupcakes and gifts among their friends and neighbors. Women wearing skirts and heels were strolling around in the neighborhood while Men in button-down shirts pinning badges on their shirts were greeting the passersby. A huge smile was plastered on each and every one of their faces.

Like every year I came to the Edward's with my Dad. Mr Dave Edward is my Dad's old friend and his daughter Noel Rose Edward is my best friend. A perfect friendship. Dalton Graham lives with Edwards too and he's like an older brother. Today Dad wasn't in his uniform and it felt really weird to see him that way in broad day light. I have always seen him in his uniform or on duty. But today's a special day, it's 4th of July. I waited weeks for this day to come when I could finally have the best cupcakes and biscuits. And of course the fireworks, the best part of 4th of July. Last week Noel promised all these things.

Meadow Nook looked marvelous as always with a never ending queue that was formed outside the manor. This year Mr. Dave himself was distributing goods among people in lieu of footmans doing it.

"Pass me the bags, one at a time." Mr. Edward told the man standing behind his chair. My dad was sitting right beside Mr. Dave and I was sitting next to my Dad.

"Here lady, some warm clothes for your children." Mr. Edward handed her a carton and grabbed another bag from the footman standing beside his chair. "And this bag contains food."

"Grateful to you sir." said the women who was first in the queue. A little boy who was standing next to her, he looked extra beamed. "Say thanks to Mr. Dave" she whispered to her boy.

"Thank you sir." Boy gave a little head bow out of respect but got distracted in between.

"Dad!" A voice caught everyone's attention.

All the people present there turned their heads in the direction of the voice. Peeking through the metal bars. Noel was stomping through the garden to get to Mr. Dave Edward.

"Good gracious, that's Miss Noel. she looks way more prettier than the last i saw her." A women said that.

Noel was wearing a knee length navy blue checkered skirt with a blue top. Her hair were styled in short brunette curls which bounced with each step. Her eyes were shinning and reflecting a light blue shade but looked concerned.

"Dalton hasnt arrived yet! he said he'd be there by 7 and its past 9 am! Please, do something or send your men, I want him here before 10." said Noel. Dalton lives in the same manor as Noel. I've been seeing him here my whole life. He's not a family member or anything but Dad once told me that Mr. Dave's best friend Graham Michael and his wife died while traveling to Europe and Dalton Graham was only 10 at that time and he had no where to live so Mr. Dave took care of him.

"Oh you're up Noel, look how many people came this year. Phenomenal, isn't it?" Mr. Dave said while handing bags to the people.

"Dad." Noel whined and sat beside him and then she took notice of me and smiled. "Hello Joe, How are you?"

"I'm good Miss Noel, Thank you for asking."

"Come here."
"Aww. You look so handsome."

"Thank you Noel. I saved this dress for today, do you like my boots?"

"Yes, totally, I love them."

"I just got them and I'm sooo ready for today, when are we leaving?"

"When Dalton arrives, but don't worry you can have cookies until then."