9: Guilty Conscience

Thomas.

Adeline was not sure if she heard right since her head was spinning real bad. She looked up and watched Joseph's face some inches away from hers, his eyes looked empty as if he was betrayed all over again. And there, outside her house David was blasting music, Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder.

Joseph looked helpless and bewildered. The expressions on his face started changing with every passing second. She tried really hard to keep her eyes open but she was losing consciousness and within seconds Adeline collapsed in his arms.

"Adeline?" Joseph whispered watching her losing her balance. He put down the dagger on the counter behind her and hold onto her tightly. He had no idea what was happening but he was sure that it wasn't Thomas behind that door. It was someone else, someone-

"ADELINE CARTER OPEN THIS DAMN DOOR! STEVIE WONDER RELEASED HIS NEW EDITION!"

He had never been in a situation like this before. A wave of guilt swept through his body. Moments ago he was threatening Adeline with a dagger while she was crying. He looked down at her neck, there was a small cut, the blood around it got dried. Joseph realized what he had done but by the time he realized, it was too late. Adeline had passed out already in his arms and he was clueless what to do anymore.

He carried Adeline to the couch ignoring David's screams and his radio.

"ADI? ARE YOU EVEN HOME?" David was screaming on the top of his lungs.

Joseph couldn't take that any longer. He laid her down on the couch and put a blanket over her almost wrapped her in it. And strode through the hall to the front door. The music playing on his radio was so loud that it made him wonder if the neighbours still haven't beat the shit out of this man.

NOW'S THE TIME FOR CELEBRATION

NOBODY EVER TOLD YOU

His hand took hold of the metal lock and unlocked it. After taking a deep breath,

NOBODY EVER TOLD YOU THAT YOU THAT

WE'RE JAMMIN', JAMMIN', JAMMIN', JAM-

he pushed it open.

*POP*

"SURPRISE!"

An explosion occurred unfortunately directly at Joseph. From head to toe he was covered with confetti and colorful paper pieces. Smoke that erupted from the party popper had vanished now. Face to face now stood David and Joseph. David's mouth hanged open and Joseph, standing in the doorway fully covered with papers, pissed.

"HOLLY MOLLY!"
David was standing there with wide opened eyes. Eyes balls ready to pop out of his eyes.

"Turn. Off. Your. Radio." Joseph warned him with a serious facade.

"ADI! ADELINE CARTER!" David tried his best to ignore the man standing in front of him as if he can't see him or he's a ghost.

"She's sleeping. Stop Shouting." Joseph folded his arms in front of his chest.

David's mouth dropped and he gasped way too loud. "WHAT? OMIGOD" He clapped his both hands in front of his mouth. "No No No, this can't happen. Adi tells me everything, how can she hide such a thing from me." He shook his head in declination.

"It is not what you're assuming. She slept cause she was tired, now would you like to go and mind your own business?" Joseph was so ready to throw hands at him for what he did but he held himself back.