1: Mystery Begins.

Start from the beginning

Interior was eye-catching as well. Walls had baroque designs made with plaster. It was furnished with old furniture and also had old paintings on the walls. There were many different sized portraits hanging on the high walls of the hall. But they were too dusty to see the paintings on them. There was a large oval shaped wooden dining table in the centre of the hall with a delicate candle stand placed in the middle. Ten chairs were positioned around the table. Stairs were leading to upper portion from both sides; right and left. Deluxe Red carpet was glued on the stairs. But it was looking all grey because of the dust.

That house had been closed for many years so everything in there had hundred or more layers of dust on it.

Upstairs, there were many rooms. Out of which one was a study. The walls in there weren't the typical walls like in any other room. Instead of walls there were huge book shelves which had numerous books in them and they were extended to the top where it was meeting the roof. There was a wooden desk placed on the left side of the study right in front of a window which had the most wonderful view. Because the front garden which was lush green was ending there and with a prominent boundary line, the dried backyard started. Two extreme things could be seen from that window.

Like on the right side there's all dark, sinister and bad but as you take a look on the left you could see the happiness, the goodness and light. These places had changed themselves according to the history and the events that took place in there. Or you could say that no one was ready to water the backyard yet alone going there.

There were two guest rooms beside the study. A small store room was on the right and on its left there was a big common room. But obviously she could use only one bedroom and that wasn't one of them. She had the biggest room which was on the ground floor. Her room was deluxe of all. It had the most luxurious furniture as compared to the whole house.
Also, a huge window was on its front wall opening into the backyard.

She called some workers to clean the whole house thoroughly before shifting in there.

After all the cleaning, the manor looked beautiful than ever. Everything that was covered into thousand layers of dust was now looking so fresh. The table in the center of the Hall was shining in the dim light of candles after the polishing. The walls were painted. And now the portraits could be seen. Paintings of different people were hanged in the staircase. First frame had the painting of an old man who was wearing a crown with green stones and then there was a frame with another old man wearing the same crown. On third, it had a painting of an old woman and she also had the same crown in her hands. And like that, gradually, the crown was vanished from the frames and was replaced by a necklace which had the same emerald pearl. One pretty face could easily be caught between the old faces. A pretty girl stood so proudly behind the throne on which a old man was seated who seemed to be her father. And this was the last frame. They all were the previous owners of this mansion.

***

It was getting late and Adeline was still on the marble bench. She drank the coffee quickly in one gulp and stood from her previous position to go inside.

Meanwhile as she was about to leave the garden she heard some noise from backyard,

She ignored it and refused to go and check because she was too tired to even carry herself in and she also didn't has much stamina for a walk to the backyard and decided to check it from her room's window.

But as she started walking she heard some sound that froze her blood. It was the scream of a man followed by two more screams. Too loud that she couldn't move and stilled where she was standing. She felt a cold shiver down her spine.

She was scared to death. What was that? Am I just tired or did I actually heard a scream? She couldn't believe it but her curiosity impelled her to move towards backyard. Her hands were shaking as she advanced towards the backyard almost running but carefully so that her footsteps don't make any noise.

The worst thing she could expect was a thief and she was actually expecting one but what she found was really mysterious. She stood there like she'd became a statue.
Her heart was beating loudly in her chest. There was complete silence and she could hear her beating heart. "Holycr**"

Instead of some thief she found a pool of blood and in a distance, an old rusty knife was laying on the dried ground with a human finger, she could even see the veins inside. There were slashes all over it. She was numbed with fear. She always liked horror movies but she wasn't expecting to experience one in real life. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight and she was sure that there happened a fight or a murder attempt. She knew that the killer might definitely be somewhere near her, she was expecting someone to jump out and slit her throat. She was so ready for any situation. Her heart was continuously skipping the beats.

A/N

Hey guys!

I hope you like the story.
I will love it if you give me a short feedback about the story and message me If you spot any mistake I'll fix it.
And here is a question for you guys:

Q: What would you do if you were roaming there instead of Adeline and heard a scream?

a: Went to the backyard as Adeline did.

b: Went inside and locked the door tightly.

c: Run out of the house as fast as you could.

Give your Feedbacks. Please vote for it. I'll be very thankful. All the love,

Sarah Mateen.