"Mason's right Corporal." Kaidan agreed. "We work together to compliment each of our strengths and weaknesses. It's what makes us an effective team."

"Sorry Lieutenant." Tanner said, ducking her head. "I'm just teasing him. I can't help it. He's so easy to rile up."

Kaidan couldn't help but smile. It was true, Mason was easily flustered around people and it was hard not to be amused by the range of emotions that played across his features. "You've got me there Corporal."

"Sir!" Mason exclaimed, coming to his feet. "I don't think..."

Kaidan held up a hand to wave off whatever Mason had been about to say. "Relax Zima. We're just easing tension here. Adrenaline takes time to wear off and teasing your squad mates helps slow the crash."

"Right, yeah. I forgot about that." Mason said, relaxing. "In that case, how about we grab some drinks? I could use a break from all this training."

"I'd love to Private." Kaidan said, the smile leaving his lips. "But I've got a meeting with Anderson in less than an hour."

"Really?" Tanner asked, unable to keep the excitement from her voice. "Do you think it means we're finally going to get off the Citadel? See some real combat?"

"I don't know Corporal." Kaidan said. "But I agree. It would be good to get off the Citadel to test ourselves in the field. It's a lot different than being in a simulator."

"Don't I know it." Tanner muttered.

"We all do." Mason reminded her, unwilling to be left out of the discussion. "But there hasn't been much to fight since the geth attack. The Alliance has been pretty vigilant about putting down any remaining outposts."

"Yeah, I heard there aren't many left." Tanner agreed as they left the arena.

"I heard the same thing." Kaidan said, his tone quiet. "Rain-check on the drinks Zima?" He asked, moving to part ways as they exited the building.

"Definitely Lieutenant." Zima agreed, smiling.

As Kaidan disappeared into the crowd, Tanner cuffed Mason on the back of his head.

"Ow!" He cried, turning a confused look her way. "What'd you do that for?"

"Sometimes, for all your smarts you sure are stupid." She said, glaring at him.

"What? What did I do this time?" He asked, stepping out of her reach.

"Really? You know how Alenko feels about the geth attack. What the hell is wrong with you? Forget where he was that day or did someone drop a rock on your head when I wasn't looking?"

"Oh. Shit." Mason's face flushed scarlet. "You're right. I am an idiot."

Letting her breath out in a rush, Tanner let herself relax. "I wouldn't say idiot exactly, just... watch what you say alright?"

"Yeah okay. Sorry Tanner." He said, clearly annoyed with himself. "It's just that the Lieutenant is so calm and easy-going with us, I sometimes forget what he went through. Almost like he's two different people."

"Yeah, I get that." Tanner agreed as they fell into step together, heading for the casino. "Just don't do it again. Alenko's been through hell and back, literally, and I don't want to see him fall apart now. He's come too far, he deserves some peace."

"On that we agree Corporal." Mason said, holding the casino door open for her.

"Good to hear Zima." She said with a smile before moving passed him into the bright lights of the casino.