no words.

[FARKLE MINKUS]

Saturday, November 8th.

My eyes drifted to her like they always do. She looked beautiful... what's new. Something was different about her, something I never noticed. Her eyes... they looked dead. She looked down at her lap then back at the tv.

I turned my sight back to the Friends rerun. I let out a small chuckle at something Chandler had said. Riley stood up with her hands flat as a board. Her shoulders stiff. "I'm going to bed." She declared. I quickly stood and rushed over to her. "good night, fa-" she began to say. I cut her off with a quick kiss. She smiled.

"goodnight, I love you." I smiled and she did back.

"I love you too." She said before departing into her room and shutting the door.

I fell back into my seat, continuing to watch friends. After a while I ended up walking over to the kitchen and cleaning some dishes. I dried my hands on the plaid hand towel. There was a crumpled paper on the floor. I picked it up about to throw it out. I slowly changed my mind and opened the paper slowly.

It was a tree... a dead tree to be true. There were beautiful flowers surrounding it. There was tear stains at the bottom of the page. I felt hurt. Riley obviously cried when she went to the roof, it wasn't the wind. I sighed.

I knew something was wrong.

Riley isn't okay.

How can I fix this?

Sunday, November 9th.

It was about three o'clock. Riley was in her room "reading" I wanted to help her.

I walked to her door and set my hand on the knob turning it slowly. I opened the door and she was sitting on her balcony in a tank top and jogging pants her hair was flying from the wind. Her balcony doors were open. She was facing the city not me.

I walked to my room and grabbed my sweater and walked back to her and draped it on her shoulders.

"aren't you cold?" I asked. She sighed and I could see her breath in the cold air. Her breathing got heavier almost like she was ready to start crying. I put my hands on her shoulders and helped her stand up. "Come on, Sunshine."

We walked back in her room, I shut the balcony doors. She was frail. "what's going on with you?" I asked knowing exactly what was happening.

"nothing... I'm fine." Her lies flew out. Why was she lying to me?

"you know, I know your lying right?" I replied and she bit her lip.

"I know." She spoke tiredly. She looked down, her hands were red from the heat in the apartment. "I don't care." She added and I furrowed my eyebrows and took a step closer to her. "you shouldn't worry."

"you're kidding me right?" I said my voice louder than I expected. Her eyes widened.

"I need time Farkle!" Riley came close to shouting. "I'm not ready to say anything... just give me time!" She pleaded on the verge of tears. My eyes shifted from her eyes to her mouth.

"you need time to tell your boyfriend what's making you upset?" I questioned. She nodded. "Is it me?"

"never." She managed to smile. I sighed still worried for her.

• • •

Wednesday, November 12th.

Riley was at work. She got hired at the same job but located here in New York. I had nothing to do. I have my website, yes. But I need a day job.

In the meanwhile, I decided to try and cheer my girl up. I went out and got some sunflowers, chocolate, and her favourite dinner.

I quickly got home and prepared the dinner. I set the flowers and chocolate on her perfectly made bed.

I put the plates out and put the dinner on them. Just as I was doing that she walked through the doors with her bag on her shoulder. She looked so artsy today. I could see anger in her eyes. I just want to know what is wrong...

"Riley what's wro-" I began to ask. She put her hands on her forehead and took her heels off.

"work sucks and my boss is a bitch!" She yelled and I sighed.

"Let's talk about it over some food okay?" I said and she nodded and sat down.

I have no words.