the beginning

Riley Matthews.

"Do we really need to do this?" I groaned and my mother set plates on our dinner table. She turned and walked over to me and fixed my hair.

"Sweetie, these are your parents old friends! And they just moved here" My mother put a smile on her face and patted my shoulder.

"I know that bu-" I started to say with annoyed tone in my voice.

"I expect you to talk to their son and be decently polite." My father Cory cut me off and I sighed.

I brushed off my blue floral dress that mom was making me wear. I refused to wear something too fancy because the heat would kill me. Summer in New York is no thing to joke about.

I picked up my phone and saw a couple messages from Maya my best friend.

Peaches💓: Riles, Want to sleepover?

Smiley Riley😊: I can't, I have a family dinner with my parents old friends.

I quickly replied and put my phone on the coffee table when A couple knocks on the door were heard. My parents opened the door. The parents greeted each other and I politely shook everyone's hand except the sons.

The son was really attractive I must admit. He was tall and he was wearing a button up shirt with black jeans.

"Riley this is our son, Farkle." Jennifer said and I smiled and the boy had a tiny smile on his face.

"Farkle will be joining The same university as you." My father said and I nodded to pretend I care but I didn't.

We all sat down at the dinner table and the parents talked about business and old memories. I was zoning out because I couldn't care less.

After eating I collected the dishes and put them into the sink.

"I'll do the dishes and then we will have some desert. Minkus, Jennifer, coffee?" Topanga asked and Farkles parents agreed.

"Riley how about you show Farkle around the neighbourhood. Don't be gone too long " Father said while nudging my shoulder. I stood up and looked at Farkle and he stood up too.

I grabbed my phone and keys to the house. We walked out of the apartment and down the stairs to the exit.

"So do you have any hobbies?" I asked while we strolled down the street. There was a cool breeze that made my hair blow a little bit.

Farkle shrugged and shook his head to the left and right. I was expecting him to say something but he remained silent.

"Do you play any sports?" I asked and he shook his head again. It was so uncomfortable because I've never talked to someone so stubborn.

We walked around in silence for a bit. He seemed like he didn't mind not talking but I did.

"Why are you so uninterested in talking to me?" I blurted out and regretted it when I saw the look on his face. He was smirking.

"Never said that." He spoke and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, you haven't said anything to me all night. Didn't your parents tell you to be polite?" I said in a slightly rude tone. How come I was treating this guy I don't know like this?

"Yeah they did but I'm not the polite type." Farkle smirked again. Just stop.

"I'm not surprised." I said under my breath and he raised an eyebrow. When we got back to the apartment we ate some pie and ice cream. The Minkus family left shortly after.

"Gosh that Farkle kid was awful." I said and fell onto the couch. My parents gave me a weird look and I stood up and went to my room.

The next day...

Maya and I were painting outside of my bay window. She had painted a beautiful picture of the city ahead of us. I admired everything Maya did to be completely honest.

I looked back at my horrible purple cat painting and my admiration had left.

"Teach me how to paint like you." I said bluntly. The blonde looked up and had a small smile on her face.

"Riley, to paint like me you need a back story or some pain to paint off of." Maya shrugged and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"My dad left me, My ex treated me like trash, I'm not the wealthiest." She said emotionally and I put my hand on her shoulder.

"You are truly amazing, Maya." I said "don't forget that."

Her smile was comforting and made me happy to see. She took a deep breath and continued adding strokes of grey paint onto her canvas.

"How was the dinner?" Maya broke the silence. I'm going to tell my best friend the truth.

"It was awful. The son of my parents friends was rude and didn't talk to me at all."

"Feelings change, Riles." Maya said quietly and I looked at her with a confused look.

---
A/N: second Riarkle book yay! I'm excited for this book :)