Chapter Twenty

“Hey!” Roy jumped back into the mushroom-bounded ring. “Come on, Marny, show yourself. This isn’t the time to be messing around. Marns?”

Jennet took a couple steps away, giving the other girl room. Maybe it was her fox-senses, but she had a vague impression of where Marny was, despite her invisibility. Oh, this was seriously good. Roy was about to be taken down a peg—and she didn’t know anyone who deserved it more.

“Looking for me?” Marny asked, suddenly visible again.

She had ghosted around behind Roy, and had one of her blades across his throat.

“Alright, alright. Careful with that!” Roy sounded a little panicked, and she couldn’t blame him.

Marny didn’t know that in-game injuries carried over to the real world. A slice from her dagger could have serious consequences.

“Never underestimate a rogue,” Marny said. She stepped back and sheathed her blade.

Roy swallowed. “Ok, point taken. Just—watch your step in here. This is a complicated game.”

Ha. Marny was a rogue in every sense. It was clear she made her own rules. Who knew what she’d do to disrupt the world of Feyland? Or what it would do to her, in return? Jennet was glad to be along, whatever happened.

If she and Tam and Marny went in-game together at some point… now that would be prime. She could just imagine the possibilities. Of course, neither she nor Tam had the ability to force Marny into simming. Somehow, she didn’t think there would be many repeats of this afternoon’s venture.

“Ok, ladies. Follow me.” Roy’s cocky assurance had returned. He jumped out of the faerie-ring and started down the path winding between the dark pines. His bright hair shone like polished copper.

“Hey.” Jennet touched Marny’s shoulder. “Nice job. You really got the hang of that character right away.”

“I hate being told who to be,” Marny said. “That’s what took me so long. I had to study the invisibility talent until I really understood it, you know?”

“I’d say you did.” Jennet grinned. “The look on Roy’s face was priceless.”

“Good.” Marny glanced up the path. “He’s kind of a jerk, in-game.”

And out. Jennet bit her tongue. If she and Tam could make the ointment, Marny would see that soon enough.

“By the way,” Jennet said, “Roy doesn’t know how much Tam and I played Feyland. So if you could, um, not mention it, that would be good.”

Marny raised an eyebrow, but she nodded. “All right. But some day soon you’re going to have to spill your secrets, fancy-girl.”

That was becoming clear. Marny was involved in the magic of Feyland now, whether she knew it or not.

“I will,” Jennet said. “I promise.”

The air shimmered at her words, like a far-distant bell had been rung. The vibrations lapped the air around them, making invisible ripples.

“What was that?” Marny asked.

“The sign of a true pledge.” Jennet swallowed. She hadn’t anticipated that. “Unexpected things have power here. Words. Blades.”

The other girl narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. She was smart. It wouldn’t take her long to realize there was something skewed about Feyland.

“In fact…” Jennet lowered her voice. “It sounds crazy, but if you get hurt in-game, the injury carries over into the real world. So be extra careful.”