Chapter Fourteen

Jennet let out a low breath as they entered the shadow of the trees. The dark evergreens rose around them, the aroma of needles filling the air like expensive incense. Low-growing purple flowers edged the path, and there were no birds calling, only the hush of wind through the pines. Shafts of sunlight pierced the forest, beams that looked nearly solid in their brightness.

“Do you see any berries?” She glanced around. There were some bushes with shiny dark leaves, a few sprays of ferns, but no obvious berries.

“It won’t be that easy,” Tam said. “This is a faerie quest, remember? We probably have to go deep into the forest, where the monsters dwell.”

“I know. I was just… hoping.”

Things were never that simple in Feyland. Every tale she’d read in her old book, every quest Feyland had given them, had a twist. There was no way to prepare. Even though she knew things would go wrong, it was always in some chaotic, unexpected way.

Still, there was a long way between not-simple and life-threatening. The further in-game they went, the more danger they would face. And whether it was from the Dark Court or the Bright, things wouldn’t be easy.

She followed Tam, the quiet of the forest giving her a moment to think. Not being able to count on Thomas had been a blow. At least Puck had shown up. No matter how Tam felt about the sprite, he had never yet done them harm, or led them astray.

Ahead, a beam of light slanted down into a small clearing, pricking bright glints of red from among the leafy plants growing there. She peered into the shadows.

“I think we found our berries,” she said.

 Tam handed her the basket, then drew his sword. “You do the picking. I’ll stand guard.”

She paused at the edge of the clearing, the back of her neck tightening as she scanned for danger. The forest was still, nothing stirring in its shadowy reaches. The berries shone like crimson jewels - rubies and garnets scattered on the bushes. She plucked one. It was round and smooth under her fingers, a succulent gem of fruit. She held her breath and dropped it into the basket.

The forest remained quiet. Unchanging.

She glanced over at Tam. His armor glinted silver and his green eyes held a fierce determination.

“Keep picking,” he said, his voice low.

It didn’t take long before the basket was nearly filled. With each berry she dropped in, she kept expecting an attack, until her nerves were stretched taut. Tam seemed steady, outwardly calm, but she could see his tension in the way he gripped his sword hilt. His knees were bent, like he was ready to leap in any direction to defend her.

Another berry. Another. Her fingers trembled.

A long, screeching wail sounded through the forest, and Jennet almost dropped the basket.

“Quick,” Tam said, beckoning. “Something’s moving under the trees.”

She hurried to join him, taking care not to spill the berries, then tucked the basket between the roots of a nearby tree. If they were about to fight, she needed her hands free.

On the far side of the clearing, a figure appeared - a woman shrouded in a black cloak.

“Who picks my berries?” she said in a high, wavering voice. “Who steals my bounty?”

“We didn’t know the berries were yours,” Jennet said. Though the woman didn’t look dangerous, there was something about her that made the back of Jennet’s neck prickle with fear. “There’s no fence - they look like they’re growing wild.”