51| Lost Opportunities

Start from the beginning

"I just have a feeling something great is going to happen." I replied as I put my hands in my pockets.

"Well, do you want to come in?" She asked me as she held the door open a bit wider.

"I...I can't." I told her when I all I wanted was to take up on her offer. "You know I'd spend every second of every day with you. But I kind of promised Cisco that I'd meet him at the bar."

"Yeah he had a rough time at his brother's party." Diane explained thoughtfully. "Hopefully you can cheer him up a bit."

"So...I'll see you tomorrow?" I said as I began to walk backwards only to bump into a wall. "There's a wall there."

Diane covered to her mouth with her hand as she nodded. "Tomorrow." She confirmed before she turned around and closed the door behind her. As hard as I tried there was nothing that could wipe the smile off my face.

I walked into the bar and saw Cisco sitting alone at a table drinking a beer thoughtful. Cisco looked up when I sat in the stool next to his. "Thanks for meeting me here. Even though you can't get drunk."

"No worries." I replied.

"So, how was your day?"

"Great." I replied with a small smile on my face. "But Linda and I did break up."

"That's the first time I ever heard anyone use the word "great" to describe a break-up." Cisco commented as he turned towards me.

"I have a feeling that I'm about to move forward with someone really special." I told Cisco and he looked at me with a smile on his face.

"Okay. Go ahead, Barry." He said as he gave me a small shove. "You finally going to take that step with Diane?"

"Yeah, I have a really good feeling that nows the right time." Cisco nodded with a look of pride on his face.

"Hi. I don't normally do this, but I was watching you, and can I buy you a drink?" A blonde woman asked from beside me.

"Uh wow." I said in surprise. "I mean, I'm really flattered, but I..."

"Actually, I was talking to him." The girl said as her eyes were trained on Cisco.

"Um...I'm...I'm sorry, you said you said you were talking to me?" Cisco asked in surprise as a smile began to spread across his face, and now it was my turn to feel proud.

"Yeah, I just told my friends over there that I thought you were cute and they dared me to come over here and talk to you, so please talk to me." She continued.

"Yeah. Yeah, I suppose I can talk to you for a little bit." Cisco said with confidence as he looked at me giving me the signal to go away.

"Yeah, no, I was just leaving. Make me proud." I whispered in to Cisco's ear as I left the bar, maybe Dr. Wells was wrong because everything has been going fine and maybe even better.

***

I sat nervously inside Jitters as I looked at the glass doors waiting for Diane to appear, and when I saw her coming I immediately straightened up and smiled at her. "Hey." She greeted as she took a seat beside me.

"One blueberry muffin and one Americano with an extra shot. Just the way you like it." I said motioning to what I ordered us. "I was thinking that after we could get ice cream. Cookie dough?"

"You know me all to well Barry Allen." Diane told me with a smile that practically lit up the whole room. "So what is going on with you? You've been acting really weird lately." She asked me with a look of confusion on her face. "I know you said you're happy, but you're acting like this is the best day ever."