Chapter ThirtyEight, Part Two - The Finale

Chapter Thirty Eight, Part Two - The Finale
Sang

I make the decision. As my step mother pushes herself to her feet, I hold up my hands and focus. The power inside me knows what I want, what I need it to do. I tap into it, and the power does the rest, reaching inside my father's form for the power inside him.

It heads straight for me in a quick stream of bright red light. I stumble on my feet, but quickly straighten and right myself, moving a foot back to steady my stance. I hear my name cried out in the distance, but I ignore it, and do what I know I have to.

Seconds, that's all I have.

I start saying the Latin words to the spell. The floor rumbles beneath my feet, as a hole starts to form between me and my screaming step mother. I drop my eyes to it for a second, and see the pool of lava and the rising of the box.

Seconds. I remind myself once more as the last bit of my father's power consumes me, rushing through my body in hot, burning fire. It hurts, and I scream out in pain, the power overload something crazy. I don't want it, I need it out.

Through a rush of tears, I focus on the box, pleading with it to hurry up.

It does, and with a yell I throw my head back, my arms flying out. A burst of pure white light leaves my chest and flies straight into the sky, lighting it up like something I've never seen before. I scream, the pressure that leaves me a huge relief. The power doesn't want to be in my already too powerful body.

When the stream of light and power stops, I breathe deeply, looking up at the white sky. My heart races, and I shiver at the temperature that has suddenly dropped to freezing.

The box hovering in the air gets my attention, and with a breathy whisper, I say the spell, watching in amazement as the lid opens. The bright white light starts falling in a strem from the sky, and into the box.

Saskia rushes over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. Safire, Sofia, and Skyler are right behind her. "The soul switching spell. We'll say it together," Saskia says.

I nod my head, and watch as the last of the light leaves the sky. The lid of the box snaps closed, and without hesitation, drops down into the hole, straight into the burning lava. Gone forever.

My attention settles on the form of my father, that is really is my step mother. She lays on the floor, staring at the sky in anger. Looking around me I see no demons in sight, and even notice that Paula is missing too.

"Let's do it," I say.

"Two souls wrong,
Correct them how,
From where they came,
Return them now," we say together.

This time, the souls switching happens with speed, and without hesitation. Ember rushes over the to the clearing and towards whom should now be my father. I turn around, and focus on my step mother.

I step up to where she lays, her angry dark eyes stare up at me. "You failed," I tell her.

She opens her mouth, but ends up coughing. When she clears her lungs, she finally says, "No matter what you were told, you never took the paths that were shown to you."

"That's because I choose my own path, make my own decisions, and hope they're the right ones." I crouch down at her side. "I hope that the rest of your life was worth the last sixteen years that just turned into failure."

She laughs and coughs all at the same time. "I almost succeeded. That was enough for me." Her eyes narrow on mine. "Besides, I'm not going to live much longer. This body will never survive."