Chapter ThirtySeven, Part One - A Magical Moment

Chapter ThirtySeven Part One - A Magical Moment
Sang

I stare at the grandfather clock, listening to the seconds tick by, watching the arms move as time passes. My arms are crossed over my chest, and my hair is hanging down my back in its natural wavy state. I'm wearing black jeans, black boots, a black tank, and a black leather jacket. These are clothes Gabriel insisted on buying.

Everything is ready; potions have been created and made, spells have been written and memorised, and daggers, swords, and any other weapon has been enchanted with spells Matt has created. Protection stones have been made into necklaces for my guys to wear, just that little extra protection from the powers of evil.

Everyone is also in place, where they need to be. Not in this house for starters. I'm taking this fight where it should have been, to that field, a place I learned is actually the school's field, right above the spot the box my father told me about is buried.

I'm bringing it up, and I'm using it.

I just hope everything goes to plan how we've imagined it should.

"Hurry." My mouth drops open, and I spin around at Tyler's voice. Mr Blackbourne stands at his side, both of them dressed in black jeans and a black long sleeved top, with heavy boots.

"What are you doing here?" My eyes fly to the clock, just under a minute until midnight strikes.

Mr Blackbourne pushes his glasses up his nose, and makes his way over to me. "I said I would do it," he whispers.

My mouth pops open. "Don't do it because you feel you have too. I said this yesterday."

His lips tilt up as he stands nose to nose, toe to toe with me, his frame just feeling so much larger than mine. "I'm not doing it because I feel I have to. I'm falling in love with you, Sang, and I know my soul belongs wrapped in yours."

Tears spring to my eyes as I realise he's being serious, dead serious. I nod my head, and hold my hand out, a part of my brain counting down the seconds. "Skin on skin," I whisper.

Eight seconds.

I hold my hand out.

Seven seconds.

He shakes his head. "Not that way," he says.

Six seconds. "What way?" I ask.

Five seconds.

He takes a deep breath. Four seconds. "I'm going to do something very un-gentleman like In just a few seconds."

Three seconds. "What?"

Two seconds. "You'll see."

One second.

Three things happen at once; I feel the power leave my body, the grandfather clock chimes as the power goes out, and hands cup my cheeks as wet, warm lips press against mine.

I open my mouth, gasping as I realise what he's doing. At the same time feeling that all too familiar feeling spread through me, from my lips, all over my face, before going down and spreading around my body, waking up every part of me. I press my lips against Mr Blackbourne's, my hands finding his shoulders as I kiss him back.

My hair starts flying around me as a cold wind hits us. I don't care though, I just kiss Mr Blackbourne like my life depends on it. This moment is the most magical moment of my life, it's so much more than what I could have ever imagined.

I gasp again when I feel the power come back inside me; so fast and so hard that I stumble back, taking Mr Blackbourne with me. He breaks the kiss, his arms quickly moving to my waist to steady us both. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I whisper. "My power just came back into me at full force."

His lips tilt up into a smile, showing his perfect white teeth. "You're beautiful, Miss Sorensen."

I open my mouth to thank him, but a black portal opening behind him gets my attention, just as Tyler shouts, "Love the show, but it's time to go."

I quickly push on Mr Blackbourne's shoulders, sending him towards Tyler. "Go," I tell him.

"You'll be okay," he tells me.

I nod my head in confirmation, watching a second later as Tyler reaches for Mr Blackbourne's arm and orbs themselves out of here. I focus my eyes back on the portal. A large imposing figure steps through the black hole as other bodies shimmer into the house, a mixture of demons surrounding me.

The hood to the cloak my father—who is really my step mother—is wearing is thrown back and my father's face is in front of me. I remind myself that all this time it has never been my father, but instead my step mother.

"Hello, Sang," she says.

"Hello, mother. Long day?" I ask, tilting my head to the side, my eyes jumping from one demon to the other. "You have quite an army."

My mother looks around the room, not at all fazed by me calling her mother. "And you do not."

I keep my face blank. "Yeah, I got abandoned at the last minute. I'm all on my own, unfortunately." The lie rolls of my tongue with ease.

"Hmm," she muses, smirking my way.

"Marie is dead," I tell her. The smirk immediately falls, and I feel a sense of satisfaction that I've shocked her. "She killed herself because she wasn't who you wanted her to be."

"Stupid idiot, isn't she?" She says. "All I was ever going to do was give her your powers. A blood relative can be the only one to bind another's powers and remove them from the body completely. That was my original plan. But everything has changed."

"It won't be easy."

She laughs. "You're a newbie, Sang. You know nothing of this world, no matter what your birth mother, and those ridiculous people she calls sisters has ever taught you."

"Don't be so sure," I tell her, my eyes flicking to the clock. Two minutes until I fully come into my powers, since I came into this world sixteen years ago. I shuffle back, remembering Ember tell me I have to be standing under the crystal chandelier, under the spot I was born. The table was moved a few inches earlier in the day. "I've worked hard to know everything that I know right now."

Mother notices me shuffling back, and her eyes narrow. "You'll be dead by the time you fully come into your powers, Sang." She looks to the clock. "Trust me."

"Don't be so sure." I quickly raise my arm, opening my palms and send a stream of fire straight towards her. The demons around me react, but I've stepped into a crystal protection circle—Sofia's idea—so the lightning and fireballs their sending my way are bouncing straight off.

Mother screams, stumbling back at the shock of power hitting her right in the chest. She roars, the sound strange with it being my father's voice. The house starts shaking, and my lips tilt up as the crystals on the chandelier begin to clink together, light bursting free, raining down, and onto me in bursts of white, blue, purple, black, and red.

The good. The evil.

"Happy birthday to me," I whisper as I throw my head back, holding my arms out as I feel the power grow, becoming so much more than what it ever was. It's overwhelming, yet it makes me feel whole in a way I've never felt before.

"No!" Mother cries. "No, dammit, no."

I absorb everything, taking the minute to think through the next step of the plan. Dropping my arms, I lift my head, and remove the potion from the back pocket of my jeans. The house continues to shake as the bursts of light fade. I kick away one of the crystals on the floor.

"What have you done, you silly whore," Mother cries.

I shrug my shoulder. "I've just started a battle," I tell her. "But for it to end, you have to find me first." I drop the potion, and with a puff of smoke and a bang, I'm gone.