Chapter Eight - More Than a Feeling

•Sang•

Two days later, I'm back at school. I told my parents that I had come down sick and although my mother looked at me through narrowed, displeased eyes, she let me have a couple of days off. However, my father watched me even more closely then before; even went so far as to work from home. I want to say it was because I was 'sick' but something, deep down in my gut, tells me otherwise.

He was always knocking on my bedroom door, asking if I was okay, if he could get me anything. Each time I said no and then he would leave me for a few hours. I tried to let his actions go unnoticed, but I couldn't help but notice. I'm sure my mother and sister also observed enough to know that my father is taking more of an interest in me.

While I took those days off, I sat in my room and I learned how to relax. Because I'm familiar with my family's thoughts, I have learned over the years to block them off and actually sat and focused on the thoughts of the others that live down my street.

Imagine the surprise I felt when I heard familiar voices, or thoughts I should (I) say from familiar voices, from across the street. I didn't know it was from across the street until I looked out my window and stayed there until the front door opened; North and Luke had left first on a motorcycle. I then started asking myself a question; did they know I lived across the street?

How I didn't notice it before, I don't know but now I do, I'm hyper aware of them. The boys once again gathered at the house over the street that I soon learned was Kota's, the boy that had worn the glasses. By what I could make out, he lived there with his mother and a young girl, his sister.

I know I shouldn't have done so, but I had sat in my room and listened to their conversation. I frowned when I kept hearing a place called The Academy be mentioned and a mission which was why they were attending Ashley Waters High School. By what I could make out, they were not getting far with their mission but knew that they had tails.

Then they started going on about going into the school tonight to set up CCTV in the vice principles office. According to their plan, they were all to meet at the school at twenty-two hundred hours, including Mr Blackbourne and Dr Green.

Now I sit on a bench in the court yard; my legs are crossed and a book is open in my lap. At the other end of the court yard are the seven boys that have consumed my thoughts. I've also learned their names; Gabriel is the one with two blonde streaks in his hair, Nathan is the one with copper hair and Silas is the big one from the mall. There is also Victor, Kota, North and Luke. Gabriel, North and Victor sit on the bench while the other sit on the grass, forming a semi circle around the bench.

All morning I've been hyper aware of them; my body coming to life when they're close, the hairs standing up on the back of my neck when they are watching me. I've avoided them as much as I can and purposely so. I've received curious glances, calculating ones and some of confusion, as if they're trying to understand.

A part of me wants them to understand but how can that be when I don't understand it myself? I haven't heard or seen Tyler, so I can't even ask him what questions I so desperately want answers to. I have no idea how to contact him either.

Ive been in control today with everyone's thoughts, which pleases me. When I feel it gets to much I excuse myself to go to the bathroom so I can gather my own and take a few deep breaths. The hearing isn't a problem; if I focus on what I want to hear everything else seems to fade away.

North looks up from his phone and looks straight at me. I inhale deeply as his eyes meet mine. Today he's wearing a black v-neck t-shirt with a pair of light blue faded jeans. It's unusual seeing him in a light colour as since Monday, I've only ever seen him in dark colours, mainly black. North looks at me as he opens his mouth and speaks, "So how far have we got with Sang? I mean, we've established she might be a witch but to what extent?" He asks his friends. I desperately want to break eye contact but he won't release me from his intense dark gaze. My heart hammers in my chest.