Chapter Two: A Warm Welcome

Start from the beginning

“Ah, I understand” He said with a nod. “But that’s not going to fly with the Hokage.”

“Um… who’s that?” I sweat dropped, not liking the sound of ‘Fire Shadow’. Kotetsu smirked at my discomfort.

“Oh! He’s really mean and spits fire out of his mouth when he gets mad. I can’t believe you’ve never heard of him! He’s so cruel to everyone. His suburbanites are the ones who do all the work. His wrath is famous.”

“Is that so, Kotetsu?” A deep gravelly voice asked, highly amused. I turned to the right.

Speak of the devil and the devil shall appear, I guess.’ We all sweat dropped. The man the voice belonged to was elderly with a lit pipe and was clad in formal white robes with “Hokage” scrolled on the front and a formal red-brown hat to match.

“H-Hokage - sama! What are you doing here?!” Kotetsu stammered in question. I smirked, loving my life right now.

“I was taking a break from ordering around my suburbanites doing my paper work for me, and decided to take a walk around the village. You don’t mind me interrupting your little lesson here do you?” He joked playing along. ‘SOOO my cue.’

“Not at all, Hokage – sama.” I interjected with a low bow to him.

“Oh! And who do we have here?” He asked kindly.

“Kaida, sir.” I answered sweetly with a smaller bow.

“Kaida…?”

“I’d… like to discuss that in a more private setting if you don’t mind. I’m sure I can predict your reaction to it… It’s quite shocking.” I bit my lip, feeling that I had said enough and too much all at once. He raised an eyebrow at my “brilliant” explanation.

“And your purpose here?”

“To, hopefully, become a citizen in Konohagakure, sir.”

“I see… But for now, my name is Hiruzen Sarutobi, Hokage of Konohagakure. Welcome to the Hidden Leaf.” He grandly gestured and stepped off to the side so I could have a better view. When I first entered the gates, I was only looking for predators, and didn’t really look at the scenery at all. It was beautiful and very, very green. I loved it. I noticed faces carved into the rock face opposite of where we stood. The third face looked a bit like Sarutobi – sama. We started to walk into the village together when I remembered something.

“Oh! And by the way, Kotetsu, I knew that he wasn’t as bad as you made him out to be because, if he was, you wouldn’t have spoken so casually about him in fear of his so called ‘wrath’.” I smirked. Kotetsu anime fell, Izumo laughed at my observation and the Hokage smiled at me both amused and impressed.

***

We walked down the street together headed for the Hokage’s Mansion. I had long since put my hood up and black sports shades on. There was no way in h*ll that I was going to be caught or recognized under these conditions. It would attract too much attention and cause a scene that would not look good on my record. And it could potentially save a few lives if they were questioned by my pursuers about me and they answered honestly. I would not be responsible for any lives taken on my behalf. I’d rather go down myself.

Many people bowed to Sarutobi – sama or said hello while others stopped and stared like they were looking at a god. This was new to me. At my old country, the Leader would never go out in a public setting like this. He would only do it in parades with at least 20 bodyguards surrounding him. It was annoying because it made it very difficult for my colleagues and me to assassinate him. Yet here this guy is, plain as day, walking the streets with absolutely no protection. I didn’t get it! I was going to ask him about it out right, but just then an interesting knife was thrown his way, I was going to catch it but I was too late. He had already caught it right between his first and middle finger. A green substance dripped from it.