~Forty Four~

"I'm not an idiot, Frederick. You're trying to tell me neither of you three know how this three idiots sitting here ended up with all these bruises on their bodies?"

         The detective who had been working on the case since it all went down to shit and failed miserably at his job asked me, Michael and Dimitri who were both standing next to me while we got interrogated about how we found Karlie and her band of idiots and how in the hell they ended up all needing stitches and medical attention.

           I looked at the boys and back at the detective and shrugged innocently. "I have no idea." I answered and then continued. "All I know is that there was a note left on the windshield of my car with an address and nothing else on it and when we got to this place, these three were here, individually tied up to their chairs like that, all bruised up. The baby was in that crib over there, sleeping."

           The guys and I had make sure to give ourselves plenty of time before the police showed up to convince and make sure Karlie, Dexter or the third idiot knew that opening their mouths to the police would simply end up with them in more pain that they could ever imagine and that if they thought what happened to them was painful, all they had to do was wait until they got to prison. "Karlie as you may know, I have friends everywhere. So one word about any of this and you'll end up with no tongue, and that's me being nice. You really don't want to know what 'mean' might want to do to you." I had looked at the other two sitting next to her then, "And this applies to all three of you." I had warned them seriously.

           An hour later, when the police finally arrived, they were all smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

           Alvarez stared at us suspiciously for a moment, his brows knitted together as he studied us. I wasn't completely sure, but I was almost certain that he wanted to intimidate us to the point that we'll get scared and start talking which I thought was hilarious so naturally, I burst out laughing which unfortunately woke up the sleeping child in my arms, her eyelids flickered as she opened those gorgeous blue eyes. I smiled softly as I watched her yawn.

          "Is that all, because I have a fiancé waiting for me at the hospital and a child obviously in need to be checked by a doctor which should have happened an hour ago." I looked back at Alvarez who weirdly enough kept staring at us until finally he sighed and shook his head.

         "You can go but I want to talk you three later on and alone. Also, I told you one of the officers could have taken her to the hospital."  He said.

          "And I said she's not leaving my side. I will take my own child to see a doctor." I retored.

          "Frederick, we don't even know if she's yours and until the DNA test happens, we won't know that for sure, she could be someone else's child for all you know ."

         Now it was my turn to frown and get pissed. I lowered my voice. "What the fuck are you talking about? She looks like her mother."

          "Well, she also has red hair and blue eyes so forgive me if I want to make sure you aren't taking the wrong kid." Alvarez replied and right there I wanted to break his face. It wasn't until I felt someone grab on to my arm that I realized I was moving towards the detective who had by then turned his back to us and was talking on the phone.

          I glared at my brother, breathing heavily. "Let it go, Frederick. The sooner we get this DNA test done, the better it'll be to put our mind to rest." Michael calmly said. I took a deep breath and tried to let go of the anger as the baby started to squirm and fuss in my hands. I looked at my brother with panic in my eyes. I had never taken care of a child before and even though I had read those books Eva had purchased that was supposed to guide you through all of this, it never once talked about "What To Expect When You Find Your Abducted Child."