~Three~

The sounds that were coming out of me, now I could admittedly say, could have been mistaken for that of a pig being tickled.

"Ex-excuse me sir," I started, when I could finally stop laughing. Not that the situation could in any way be considered funny, but it was more out of pure shock. I was more than completely baffled, a bit flabbergasted and utterly shocked. Did this stranger just ask me to carry his child? That honestly couldn't be right.

"What did you just say?"

"You've probably heard me fine." He took a sip of his drink again. I shook my head while hysterically laughing. It felt as if that was the only thing my brain could allow my body to do.

"I'm not sure I heard you right, sir. Because I could have sworn you just said you'd give me five million dollar to have your child. Please correct me if I'm wrong." I felt as silly saying those words as it felt when I heard them.

I watched him. And while he stared back at me, completely unfazed and looking very unlikely to utter another word at the moment, I willed my heart to stop betraying me.

I waited, feeling his eyes boring into mine. I had the inkling feeling that he knew my bravery was only surface deep. Maybe it was the pulse that kept beating in my neck as I swallowed much more heavily than before. "A baby?" I asked, my voice barely inaudible.

He got up from his chair which had his back to the giant glass window behind him, some of the sun rays peaking through, the warmth of it not lost on me in that cold room. He came around the desk and leaned his weight on it, his hands tucked away in his pockets.

"You will be generously compensated, as you see." He added calmly as if we were currently talking about the weather, not that he wanted me to have his baby.

Was he seriously asking me to carry his child, Me, a complete stranger that he had never met before, beside possibly the previous day? Or was this all a joke? Was I being punked? By him? Would that even be possible? Frederick Halter was hardly a man who would be making such insane jokes on someone he did not know, I was sure that was out of the question. The only thing left was to realize I was possibly in a parallel universe where insane things happened on the daily.

I frowned.

"So?" he started, "Does my offer interest you?" He asked as I stared at him. My heart beating so hard it was on the verge of coming out of my chest. This was actually happening.

I shook my head, completely incredulous that this was happening.

Again,

what the fuck!?

__________________

I stood there in the subway station patiently waiting for my train to arrive, which wasn't that big of a deal since my mind was pretty preoccupied with something else.

When I woke up this morning and got the call, I had no idea this was what was waiting for me when I arrived at his office.

I had no idea this was what life had planned for me all this time. Or was it because life was tired of hearing me bitching that it figured it would throw me such a big curveball that I would be too busy with that to stop bitching for awhile.

What the fuck was I supposed to do with what I had just left in that office?

"Implying that you'd consider the offer, There's of course more details we would need to work through if you were to come to the decision that you'd be interested." He said while I sat in front of him dumbfounded.