~Fourteen~

My legs were shaking and my palms were drenched with sweat, no matter how much I wiped them in the back of Jean's. "So, anyone wants to take a look at it?" I asked as I looked back and fourth between the two women sitting next to me.

          Billie bit her lip. "I am so nervous for some stupid reason." We kept staring at it. This thing, this tiny thing represented so much on itself. It could easily be the beginning of a new life and all it would take was for one of us to have the courage to pick it up and read what it said on it.

         "Okay, Listen ladies. There are two things that could happen here; we either throw the stick away and wait until my doctor visit, or we just look at it. I think we are being a little too dramatic here."

    "Fine. Then, how about you pick it up." Billie retorted.

          "I don't want to." I replied just as Mrs. Winslet, who was sitting to the left of me, reached for the test on the table.

         "So?" I asked even though a part of me did not want to know.

           Silence.

        I hadn't even noticed that I had closed my eyes. "It didn't work, did it?" I asked, my shoulders sagging.

        Well that was that. I got up and made my way to the kitchen.

    "Oh, no it worked." I heard Mrs. Winslet behind me. I stopped and turned around.

       "I'm sorry, what?"

       "You're pregnant, Eva, the thing here says positive." She beamed. Extending the white stick towards me so that I could read it for myself.

     "Holy fucking cow. " I let out a breath, unable to move. "I was hoping, but I didn't actually think it was going to work. Holy shít."

      The women laughed as they got up. "I know a man who is going to be very happy about the news." Billie said while approaching me. I nodded. I couldn't wait to tell Frederick.

_______________________

         I knocked once and stood in front of the door with a smile on my lips as I waited for the door to open. I knew that Frederick wasn't expecting me but I wanted to see his face when I told him that we had succeeded in the baby making area.

         The door slowly opened and revealed Karlie standing in front of me in nothing but her lingerie, looking like the Victoria's Secret model that she was. The smile on my face faltered as hers appeared.

           "Eva," she leaned on the half opened door. "Can I help you?"

          I studied her  for a second. "Uhm yeah. Can I see Frederick?" I asked and then looked passed her into Frederick's house.

      "It's late." She replied, making no attempt to move out of the way. I forced a smile.

          "I know, but I have something to tell him." I said, trying to keep my excitement from my voice. "It's important to him." I added.

      "Well, I'm sorry but he's taking a shower. You'll have to come another time, possibly in the morning." She smirked. And as she was closing the door on my face, Frederick appeared behind her.

           To say that I was relieved would be the understatement of the century.

      "Karlie, open the door." He commanded. She looked back at him before settling her eyes on me again, then she smiled; a bright and beautiful smile, like nothing happened.

          I waited patiently. And when she finally opened the door, I had to take a couple of steps back. I also almost swallowed my tongue.

        In front of me was revealed a naked Frederick in nothing but a white towel around his hips, as water dripped from his hair onto his body. I swallowed hard at the image displayed.

        "Come in, Eva." He motioned to me as Karlie stepped away. Barely enough to make room for me to pass.

      "I have something to show you." I strode in, clearly buzzing with excitement. I stopped in front of him. He pulled me in, my body pressed into his, I squirmed and laughed and tried to get away.

          "Ew Frederick, you're all wet." I complained and laughed some more as he finally let me go.

         He turned towards the stairs. "Sit down, I'll go put something on quickly." He told me, leaving a trail of water behind him.

         Karlie strode after him. "About time." She mumbled, moving her body a little too much for it not to be anything but to show off. I walked into the living room, shaking my head slightly.

______________________

          "So," Frederick started, sitting down on the couch, on the other side of the coffee table. "What is it that wanted to show me?"

          The smile on my face couldn't be tamed. I opened my purse to get an unused pregnancy test out.  Frederick glanced at the pregnancy test, then back at me, a questioning look on his face. "It's not used." He stated, matter of factly.

           I shook my head and got up. "Not yet," I told him. "If you'd excuse me."  I made my way towards the bathroom located further away from the living room. "Wait there," I called out and closed the door behind me.

         Frederick was still sitting there and waiting when came back to the living room, a few minutes later.

I stopped in front of him.

He stared at me.

        I let out a breath and handed him the used test that I had carefully placed in a toilet paper; then I watched his expression as he registered the result on the stick. He glanced at me and back at the test, then again at me before finally getting up.

          "You're...pregnant?" He asked. Disbelief fighting against excitement on his face.

         My lips trembled as my vision became blurry. "I'm pregnant" I choked. No longer able to control my tears the moment he pulled me in and hugged me tight against him. "You're gonna be a daddy."
           The noise that came out of him was soft. Just a chuckle,  yet full of aw. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. All I could smell was his cologne.

         "Thank you, Eva."

      I gradually opened my eyes again. Karlie who stood on the edge of the staircase, looking just the part of a supermodel. She smiled when our eyes locked.

         I looked away.
______________________

I appreciate every vote and comment 😊😄 I really do