~Nineteen~

I jumped with a start from my bed as my eyes fluttered open and landed on Frederick, who was casually standing on the side of the bed where I was asleep, only moments ago.

           "Jesus, what are you doing?" I pulled the sheets closer to my body as I held on to them while glaring at him.

            He frowned, narrowing his eyes at me as if trying to understand something. "You're avoiding me." He finally let out, it wasn't quite a question, more so a fact.

          I recoiled, trying to get off the bed and away from him. "Don't do this, don't scare me like this." I left the sheets on the bed, the second my feet landed on the carpeted floor and found myself heading out of the room.

           Suddenly, the state of somnolence had vanished, disappeared into an abyss, making room for fear and fright.

           As I walked into my living room, I realized how early it was, the sun barely even up. I wondered how he had gotten in since Mrs. Winslet and I were sleeping.

           I heard him march into the living room before I could hear his monotonous voice. "I've scared you. My apologies, Eva, I didn't mean to."

            I pulled the bottle of milk out and poured some in my bowl. If I was going to be awake this early, might as well find something to eat since I was hungry. "It's okay." I said to him, a little exasperated, standing in the middle of the living room. "What are you doing here and how did you get in?"

        "My travels are taking place today, I wanted to say goodbye. And since you haven't been taking my calls, I thought I would stop by before jetting out of the country. Mrs. Winslet let me in the apartment when she heard me knock on the door." He answered before moving towards me.

           He wasn't lying, I had been ignoring him for the past week, but it was all so I could clear out my head, sort out my thoughts and feelings. But alas, although the time apart had been a nice break, it unfortunately didn't help me get rid of those feelings I had been acquiring for him.

           I placed the bowl of milk in the microwave to warm it up a bit, the taste of cold milk with my cereal had never been appealing.

          "Eva." As expected, his hand came around my neck.

          "Why are you hiding away from your feelings?" He whispered into my ears, my whole body shuddered as his breath came in contact with my skin.

          "Because I shouldn't be having those feelings for you." Since we were being honest here, I was just going to say it, knowing that I wouldn't have to see him for a few weeks.

          "Why?" And as he asked, I felt just the slightest touch of his lips on my temple. I shook my head, scoffing.

        Was he serious? Did he not know why this was inappropriate? I gazed into his eyes and took a step back.

         "Karlie, Frederick. How about your girlfriend, Karlie?"

            He narrowed his eyes as a crease formed in the middle of his forehead. "She has nothing to do with this."

           I laughed then. "She has everything to do with this. How do you think she'll act when she finds out you kissed me?"

           "Karlie knows I_" He stopped speaking as he caught himself, his jaws tightening.

        "She knows what?"

        "I told her I kissed you." He responded, but for some reason, I didn't think those where the words he had meant to say before.