~Twenty One~

"The blood tests results came back and show a trace of Mifepristone in your blood." The doctor that had been taking care of me for the past two days I had at the hospital walked in the room as I was sitting on the bed, fully dressed, ready to leave.

          I frowned. "What is that?" Frederick asked standing next to me. He had stayed at the hospital with me for the whole period of time that I had been there and wouldn't even let me suggest that he leaves to go rest or even shower, instead deciding to use the private bathroom in the room that I was occupying.

         "That is the scientific name for the abortion pill. That's why you miscarried." The doctor answered, the words sinking my heart so deep in me that I wasn't sure it could be found again.

           Frederick's eyes, which were glued on the doctor just moments before, were now staring at me. "Eva?" He said more so as a question.

           I could feel my tears rising to the surface of my eyes as I shook my head, my lips already quivering. "Frederick it was Karlie, oh God it was Karlie. You know I would never do that to your babies and to myself.  She did it, that's the only explanation." I looked up at him as my tears fell, staining my cheeks but I didn't care. I had to make sure he believed me. He had to.

           I should have seen it coming. I was stupid and naïve in believing that she didn't have any ulterior motives behind the invite.  I should have listened to Billie when she warned me, I should have been more careful. After what had happened to me, how could I have been as careless as letting my guards down around this witch?

        The truth was, I didn't actually think she would stoop so low as to do something so inhumane. She jeopardized my well being and those of my babies to make sure she would keep Frederick.

           How did someone become so bitter? So evil?

           Frederick's facial expression loosened a bit as he placed his hand on my shoulder before addressing the doctor.

         "So she was poisoned?"

           The doctor shook his head slightly. "The blood test  only tells what's been injected. And in this situation, unfortunately seeing as the medication could have easily been taken with consent, not that it did but, it could have been. So it's very hard to determine if she's been forcefully given it unless someone confesses of the crime."

           My tears fell harder, my shoulders sunk, my eyes were directed to the floor as I listened to the words.

             "She did this Frederick's, she did." I spoke softly, and chased away the many tear drops escaping from my eyes as they fell. "I remember my drink didn't taste quite right at the restaurant maybe that's how she got the pill in. Maybe while I was in the restroom she slipped it in." I continued hysterically as I found the strength to get up and stand in front of him.

       "Eva, these are very grave accusations. I don't think Karlie would do something so heinous. She's not a horrible person. Maybe if we go back to the restaurant and ask them to show us the recordings of that day I'm sure we'll find something."

          "Are you fucking kidding me? Who could it be other than her?" I asked, incredulously. How fucking dare he?

       "You need to try and calm down." He grabbed my arm to try to calm me down but I pulled away, becoming more agitated. "I'm just saying we need to investigate before making any rush assumptions. You were in a busy restaurant, in the open, how do you think she would have done that without someone seeing her?"

       "I could have died,  Frederick. I could have bleed out and died. I was carrying fucking twins.  Two innocent babies died. Your babies. And you tell me to calm down? How aren't you upset?" My body was shaking with hysteria. I was enraged. I bunched up my fingers into fits on each side of my body.