(Autumn) Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

The final days of practice for the community play were intense and serious. After all, Sir William is directing the play.

"No, no, no! How many times do I have to tell you that your expression must be fierce, bold?!" Sir William said with one eye twitching, slightly irritated at the student who plays Enkidu, who can't deliver a proper expression for the fight scene.

"My apologies, Shijin-sensei, but how do you want me to deliver Enkidu's expression?" The female student asks, one with short, red hair, and raises an eyebrow. "I pretty much think that my expressions are correct."

An irk mark pops out of Sir William's temple. "You dare criticize the director?! I know to myself when the expression is correct or not, when the lines are delivered properly or not, and when I see great talent or not."

The red-headed student's face darkens. "So, do you think that you chose the wrong student to play Enkidu?"

"I hate to admit it but yes! You're not perfect for the role of Enkidu," he puts it bluntly as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"I see," she closes her eyes and closes the script book. Then, she puts the book on the floor, descends the flight of steps from the stage, and walks out of the auditorium.

Everyone was shocked, knowing that they lost a student who plays a vital role in the play.

Sir William slumps down on his chair and massages his forehead, trying to relieve himself from the stress. "Ugh, where am I going to get a replacement for the role of Enkidu at this time? We only have a limited number of days before the play."

Even though it was but a small murmur to oneself, Mabu was able to catch on what Sir William said. Her eyes sparkles in hope.

"Sir William, I'll play Enkidu!" Mabu said as she raises her hand.

"Your role is Ishtar!" Unknowingly, Gil and Sir William shouts in unison.

Mabu looks at Gil with disappointment. "Why? Don't you want to kiss me, Gil-darling?" She pouts her lips.

"I don't want to!" Gil, then, turns around and talks to himself. "Just the thought of it gives me the creeps."

An echo suddenly fills the auditoium. It was the sound of a heavy door opening. Everyone diverts their attention to the brown-headed girl who was carrying a few boxes filled with donuts and some coffee-in-can placed in a plastic bag.

"Good morning, everyone!" Hinako said with a smile. "Have a little snack."

Sir William suddenly snaps his fingers. He stands up and points at Hinako. "You'll be our new Enkidu!"

"Huh?" Hinako trips but she was able to regain her footing. She almost let go of the boxes of donuts. "S-Sir William?"

Hinako finds herself on the stage with a script book on her right hand. In front of her was Gil and they are going to act the fighting part of Enkidu and Gilgamesh. Other actors and actresses stepped down for a bit from the stage and enjoyed some coffee and donuts. Mabu was seriously pissed, glaring at Hinako like an angry lion.

"Please, Suzuhana-san," Sir William claps his hands. "just try to act for me. This is for the sake of the festival and the play!"

Hinako couldn't say "no" at all, not even after Sir William's begging tone. She gave in and went on with the flow.

"Are you ready, Douji-senpai?" Hinako asks, her volume was slightly low.

Gil felt bothered all of a sudden. It wasn't Hinako's usual energetic tone, rather it was an exhausted tone in her voice. "Are you all right? You sound like you need a breather."