Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

The next day the two guards from yesterday return. They eye me warily.

"Come along," the one says in a deep voice.

I get up following them, "Where are we going?"

"Training," they respond.

"Training? Training for what?" I ask. What the fuck kind of training would I need here? How Not to Kill Someone You Think is a Mutt or Not Losing Your Sanity 101?

"Battle training. It's somewhat similar to the training you've already done for the Games," a guard responds.

"Oh. But why are we headed there?" They want me to train for battle? Like that's the smartest idea. Hey, let's train the crazy ass for battle. Maybe he won't go crazy on his fellow soldiers.

"You're going to train to become a soldier. Well, kind of. It's for a video so the Capitol knows they no longer have a grasp on you."

I nod my head and we continue on our way to training. So not a real soldier. Of course, no one wants the crazy with them out in battle. I sure as fuck wouldn't.

~M:PPOV~

They have me training in the beginners group assembling guns, hitting targets, one on one combat. Even though know one wants to combat me so the guards have to step in to spar with me. The guns are new but I've already trained in one on one combat for the Games.

I hear that Katniss and Johanna were let into one of the troops and have headed out for the Capitol. It sounds like a stupid move to me. Why put them out on the front lines? I would keep up back until it was a sure fire win.

Soon the guards start drifting away. This makes the rest of people in my group uneasy at first but slowly they realize I'm not going to try to kill them. And soon they start to combat against me. It brings me a sense of relief that they don't think I'm going to try and kill them. It's a relief I didn't know I was looking for, but I appreciate it all the same.

I quickly pass all the test in each group and one day during training the guards wander back over and tell me President Coin want to see me. I'm confused as I follow the guards to President Coin. I walk in the room by myself the guards shutting the door once I'm in the room.

"Hello, Peeta," Coin greets me.

"Hi," I say, the confusion still clear on my face. I shift in my place uncomfortable with her gaze.

"I can see the confusion on your face. You're wondering why you're here," Coin says.

I nod my head yes. Why was I here? I haven't done anything wrong, have I? Well, I did choke Katniss and had that incident in the cafeteria, but surely it would have been addressed earlier if she thought it was truly a problem.

"I want you to go into the battle," President Coin says.

"You want me to go into battle?" Did I hear her right?

"Yes."

"But why me? There are plenty of others who have trained longer than me," I say.

"Would you rather I send someone else?" Coin says, tilting her head to the side slightly.

"No. I was just wondering why," I respond. It's a chance to get out of here. Outside of these boring walls caging me like an animal.

"Well, you've proven yourself worthy. You've risen through the ranks quickly," Coin says, her face remaining expressionless.

"Why do you need me to go into the battle?" I ask.

"One of the soldiers died the other day, and I need you to fill in their place. Can you control yourself without the guards if you are put in the same troop as Soldier Everdeen?"

Katniss? "I guess," I say shrugging. I honestly don't know what will happen? It's like I can't control my brain when I'm around her sometimes.

"They're headed toward the Capitol. It will give you a chance to get back at Snow for hijacking you," Coin says, writing on a piece of paper in front of her. "Now go get ready, you're leaving within the hour."

I nod my head, exiting the room.

~M:PPOV~

The train stops and the doors open. It's the first time I'm outside, with the exception of me getting on the train, since the Games. I throw the strap of my gun over my shoulder. I can see the shock on everyone's face I as I step out of the train. They weren't expecting Coin to send me. People start complaining about how I'm not supposed to be here, but I show them 451 inked on the back of my right hand.

A man named Boggs approaches me and relieves of my weapon before excusing himself to go make a call. I hold in a huff. He's probably going to contact Coin about my being here. No one wants me here.

I turn to rest of the unit, "It won't matter. The president assigned me herself. She decided the propos needed some heating up."

She didn't exactly say that but it was clear enough. She wants Snow to know he doesn't have a grasp on me anymore. Even Coin doesn't have a grasp on me. No one does. Not even me sometimes. 

Edited