Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Good morning. Peeta," Plutarch says entering my room.

I nod my head in acknowledgment.

"I actually have a video to show you before we start talking," Plutarch says in reminder. A TV set is rolled into the room. Plutarch presses the play button.

A forest appears on screen. Katniss and I are sitting in some sort of cave. The first Games we were in.

"Don't you want anything?" Katniss begins.

"No, thank you. Wait, yes. Tell me a story."

"A story? What about?"

"Something happy. Tell me about the happiest day you can remember."

She sighs, "Did I ever tell you about how I got Prim's goat?"

I shake my head and she begins. She says she sold a silver locket of her mother's. A man was selling goats. Gale carried her, the goat, home. Katniss's mother and Prim started treating the old goat.

"They sound like you," I say on screen.

"Oh, no, Peeta. They work magic. That thing couldn't have died if it tried."

"Don't worry. I'm not trying. Finish the story."

"Well, that's it. Only I remember that night, Prim insisted on sleeping with Lady on a blanket next to the fire. And just before they drifted off, the goat licked her cheek, like it was giving her a good night kiss or something. It was already mad about her."

"Was it still wearing the pink ribbon?"

"I think so. Why?"

"I'm just trying to get a picture. I can see why that day made you happy."

"Well, I knew that goat would be a little gold mine."

"Yes, of course. I was referring to that, not the lasting joy you gave your sister you love so much you took her place in the reaping."

"That goat paid for itself. Several times over."

"Well, it wouldn't dare do anything else after you saved it's life. I intend the same thing."

"Really? What did you cost me again?"

"A lot of trouble. Don't worry. You'll get it all back."

The screen goes black. What was that? Saved my life? She saved my life?

"Peeta," Plutarch calls out to me.

I try to form words but can't. That can't be true. I see the door open from the corner of my eye. A doctor comes in injecting something in my arm. When did that happen? Wait, I kind of remember that. Why was I so calm about the whole thing in the video? I was dying. Katniss was actually being nice to me. I'm so confused. This couldn't be true . . . or could it? There's a video of it. Someone couldn't of just acted it out. But of course Katniss could have acting nice to me to gain my trust so that I wouldn't expect her to kill me. All of a sudden I feel calmed down. I just need to think through this all.

~M:PPOV~ SAME DAY ~M:PPOV~

"Hello, Peeta. How are you doing?" Plutarch says entering the room once more.

"I'm fine," I answer. Why do people ask when they know the answer? Of course, I'm going to just say I'm fine. Who doesn't?

My answering takes Plutarch by surprise. But he quickly regains his composure.

"Do you remember what happened in the video happening in real life?"

"Yes. How is that goat?" I ask.